UltraStudio Mini Monitor to ATEM 2 M/E - not working

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Oscar Moreno

UltraStudio Mini Monitor to ATEM 2 M/E - not working

PostThu May 11, 2017 10:22 pm

I'm trying to setup an ultrastudio mini monitor to work with an ATEM 2 M/E running @ 1080i 59.94.

Basically my setup is a mac mini running windows 10, vMix 19 4K, and an AJA io4k - which I output to an ATEM 2 M/E. The setup works perfectly with the io4K. No problems there.

I wanted to add another output to this setup by using an UltraStudio Mini Monitor. I Installed the desktop video utility and configured desktop video to run @ 1080i 59.94 on SDI. For some reason the video coming out of the ultrastudio is broken up and garbled. Is there something I missed?

Anyone having the same issues with the ultrastudio mini monitor? I was wondering if there was a firmware update for the mini monitor?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: UltraStudio Mini Monitor to ATEM 2 M/E - not working

PostFri May 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Is the output from the computer a 1080i59.94 format because just adjusting settings in Media Express/Desktop Video utility will not change this. The other devices mentioned may offer scaling of this nature but the Mini Monitor does not.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Oscar Moreno

PostSat May 13, 2017 12:22 am

Basically, the ultrastudio mini monitor is getting the signal directly from the vMix software which is also set to output @ 1080i 59.94. To be clear, I do get video out into the ATEM but the video is destroyed (it looks sort of like an old vcr that is playing a severely damaged video tape).

Interestingly, I can confirm that the ultrastudio hardware is good as I tested it on a Lenovo PC and the video output is clean and smooth. I am inclined to think that it might have something to do with the fact that I'm running Windows in bootcamp. Or perhaps vMix does not like the black Magic Desktop video drivers? By the way I also tried the older desktop video drivers and didn't change anything.
Last edited by Oscar Moreno on Sun May 14, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar Moreno

PostSun May 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Is the output from the computer a 1080i59.94 format because just adjusting settings in Media Express/Desktop Video utility will not change this. The other devices mentioned may offer scaling of this nature but the Mini Monitor does not.

Tony, just wondering... Is the mini monitor overwriting whatever signal the vMix is sending? If so, what is the output signal of the mini monitor? It appeared to me that the mini monitor's output signal could be changed in desktop video as the options are there. Am I wrong?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 15, 2017 10:55 pm

If I was a betting man, my money is on the Bootcamp topic rather than the vMix being an issue. We do not test with applications running that way so I wouldn't be able to confirm that workflow.

The Mini Monitor will take the feed it's given and output that, so long as it matches the formats supported by the device. The tech spec page for the UltraStudio Mini Monitor has the breakdown of all those.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Live Production