PTZ Set-Up For Micro Studio Camera 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Glenn McCrory

PTZ Set-Up For Micro Studio Camera 4K

PostMon May 22, 2017 7:52 pm

I was reaching out for advice on the best direction to go in order to improve our PTZ set-up. We livestream shows with Sony - EVI-D100 PTZ Cameras and looking to have a more broadcast quality show without the added costs of hiring camera-men for each camera, so a mix of PTZ and fixed cameras is the only way for us to go.

We use:
- 4 - PTZ Cameras with 100' SDI out
- 2 - Fixed Cameras w/ 100' SDI out to HDMI at switcher
- 1 - Crane/Jib Camera with 100' SDI out to HDMI at switcher

Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio Switcher to bring them all in. We are waiting on the new HD Television Studio to ship (if it is coming soon). I might just go with the ME/1 all SDI switcher instead to cut out the HDMI converters.

I am looking to upgrade and purchase cameras/PTZ Mounts for all the shots to improve our current set-up. Right now we are using the Sony EVI-D100 but looking for a camera/lense with sharper image, better color, and a nice depth of field effect. We are traveling all the time with the set-up so I love the convenience of the EVI-D100 but the picture is pretty awful and almost looks more like security footage than the Broadcast Level we desire.

My thought was the affordable solution would be the Blackmagic Micro-Studio Camera with a lens on it. I was recommended a lens: Sigma 18-35mm lens (Canon version) with micro 4/3’s to Canon Metabones adaptor mount ($300-ish). However I am struggling to find a suitable PTZ mount / connection without having to literally program our own custom solution.

Does anyone have advise for us?

roger.suski

Re: PTZ Set-Up For Micro Studio Camera 4K

PostMon May 22, 2017 9:50 pm

PTZoptics make some sort of rig that you could put a camera dujour on.

You'll want to make sure you have camera control.

Not sure the solution you offered will get you equivalent functionality for what you replace.

Are you converting the D100s to digital from composite now? Virtually any new camera will look better than that.

If you have the remote infrastructure (telemetrics controller or other) you may wish to continue down the SonyPTZ line.

Howard Roll

PostTue May 23, 2017 3:38 am

I'd seriously look at what Panasonic has to offer before trying to cludge together a BM + 3rd party solution. I own the Micro Studio and I like it a lot but you need to be aware of it's limitations. Namely a small selection of slow power zoom lenses for a camera with a very low base ISO of 100. I've shot hours of footage at +12db, what amounts to about ISO 400 and it was fine but I wasn't trying to use slow power zooms, it takes about 250 blistering foot-candles to light an f4 at 100 ISO. Even the bottom tier Panasonic robos have 10x optical zoom, POE, and most importantly an integrated control solution. I'd suggest you rent a micro for a weekend and get to know it before chasing a multi-vendor solution down the rabbit hole. Good Luck.

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 23, 2017 11:22 am

Indeed take a look at a real ptz camera like PTZOptics, Lumens, Marshall, Datavideo, Sony or Panasonic..

The microstudio camera is not low light at all.. You need a Studio with Studio lighting to get this camera to perform right.

Then there is the lens issue (Power focus and zoom stepless) And a decent PTZ head tthat is easy to use / Wire..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

poucedeleon

PostThu May 25, 2017 4:16 am

I don't know what Black Magic didn't include 8 HD-SDI input since they put the word "Pro" on the new switcher. I am like you, I don't want to deal with a bunch of converters.
Kevin Young

MambaFiber.com

PostThu May 25, 2017 5:42 am

I will second the thought of taking a look at what Panasonic has to offer. By the time you buy the Micro, lens, adapter, PTZ mount, controller, etc you are probably pretty close to buying something like the Panasonic AW-HE40, but will not have as robust of a solution. The SDI version will require only two cables, SDI video and POE ethernet, both good up to 300 feet, and both easily adapted to fiber. The robotics in these cameras are superb, and capable of on-air move and follow. The AW-RP50 remote allows for both operation of the camera (but only up to 100 cams!), and shading as well. We have 4 HE60, and 2 HE130 and are impressed with how well they work, and how little trouble they are. Will be adding a few HE40s to the stable by the end of the year. Yes, I am biased here but believe me I try a lot of gear and these are buy once/cry once/be happy you have them.

The PTZoptics are a good second choice. Nice pictures but the robotics are not NEARLY as good as the Pannys.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production