Output audio Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Paulo Oliveira

Output audio Television Studio HD

PostThu May 25, 2017 1:30 am

I would like to output the audio of the ATEM Television Studio HD to use multiple HDMI and SDI sources in a conference room (mostly PCs), partially with the help of HDMI to SDI converters, so I can mix the sound from these sources with the (several) microfone inputs I have in the audio mixer. In a normal situation, when I am not sending the mixed signal to another room through the PGM output (or making a recording using an external device - with the help of an SDI to HDMI converter attached to the PGM output), this poses no problem at all. But if I want to make a recording of the final audio mix (HDMI sources + microfones attached to the mixer), I would have a loop back if I input the mixer sound to the ATEM. Is there a way to extract the sound of the ATEM excluding one or some of the inputs, e.g., the XLR imputs coming from the audio mixer - so I do not have a loop back?

I understand the USB2 output of the ATEM Television Studio HD can not be used for this purpose, but only for software/firmware upgrade. Is that right? I have a PC next to the ATEM and the mixer, so a USB sound input to the PC could be the perfect solution for routing this audio sign to the mixer, eventually with aditional treatment etc. But if I can not use the USB2 for this purpuse, this solution seems out of question.

Alternatively: would it be possible to use the Aux output to agregate the various sources, excluding only the (audio) signal I input through a specific chanal, e.g., the XLR inputs (so I do not have the looping problem)?

Long question, I hope I have made myself clear.

Ryan Boni

Re: Output audio Television Studio HD

PostFri May 26, 2017 1:43 am

Hi Paulo,

Let me see if I understand your workflow correctly:
1. PCs through converters into ATEM (embedded audio).
2. Microphones to mixer.
3. Mixer output to ATEM.
4. ATEM output back to room.

Is that correct?

Not sure why you would need to loop back anything or are you looking to mix the PC audio in the mixer at the same time as the microphones? What audio are you trying to eliminate?

The ATEM has a built-in audio mixer. So you could select or deselect whatever inputs that you want. It also has an audio-follows-video feature so that only the audio from the current video source is selected. I assume that you could use the audio-follows-video feature, while having the XLR inputs always active. This way you could have the microphones always active, but only send one PC audio output at a time.

The separate SDI outputs of the ATEM have a built-in mix minus feature so it is sending every audio channel back (except the one that it is on).

If you want to do all of your mixing in the external mixer, you could buy SDI to Audio converters for each PC to extract the audio for each input into the external mixer right before it gets to the ATEM, and then sending the SDI into the ATEM for video switching. Then you could turn off all of the audio channels in the ATEM audio mixer EXCEPT for the XLR inputs from the mixer, so then you are controlling the entire audio mix from the external audio mixer.

I do not believe there would be any way to get the Aux out to send multiple audio inputs, just the audio on the input that is being sent to the Aux.
Public Access Director, Peters Twp Comm TV
Freelance TV Broadcast Camera Op (sometimes Dir, TD, EIC, Video)

ATEM M/E 1, 2 & TVS, Studio & Broadcast Cam, Smartscope/view, Cam Conv, Studio Conv, Talkback Conv, Hyperdecks, Videohub 40x40 & MC

Paulo Oliveira

Re: Output audio Television Studio HD

PostFri May 26, 2017 3:46 am

Hi Ryan,

thanks for the reply. I am using the external mixer for the audio, it gives me more options of controling not only level, but also gain, ton, equalizing etc. Yes, I tough of extracting the audio and routing it later as mix to the ATEM, it just seemed more complicated. Good to know I can not mix things in the Aux to use it as output, so I do not loose any time trying to do it. I think things are clearer to me now.

Configuration:
Microfones to the mixer;
Mixer to the ATEM
Mixer to power amplifiers (three or even more sets, large room with second floor - like a theater: stage return boxes, large boxes for public, subwoofers...)

Return to Live Production