Small Rack Mixer for ATEM Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

David Blank IAO

Small Rack Mixer for ATEM Television Studio HD

PostWed May 31, 2017 9:51 am

Hi,

I ordered three Dome cameras and i will use them together with the ATEM Television Studio HD.
I would like to use everything as a remote view in another room so i have three Microphones there and sometimes i will record another mic (or something else) in that room..
I have two audio monitors (active). I thought about buying a rack mixer or a audio interface which should work also without a pc.
something like m-track-eight or scarlett-18i20 ?

it would be nice to give someone control over the audio monitors who has no clue about the rest (if i have to leave the room)

what do you think? Audio Interface or Mixer?

Evan Daum

Re: Small Rack Mixer for ATEM Television Studio HD

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 6:17 am

You might consider the Zoom R16. It is an 8-input standalone mixer that can multitrack 8 channels to SD card, and also act as a USB audio interface if you'd rather use a PC. Only has 2 channels with phantom power, but if you don't need more, it's a nice compact mixer. Put it on a pull-out sliding rack tray for mobile use.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... oC71Pw_wcB

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 4:18 pm

No disrespect to Evan, but the Zoom is not a very good mixer, so,so mic preamps, another better option is the , PRESONUS STUDIOLIVE RML AI series mixers, 19-inch rack mount and are available up to 16 channels. Do some on line searches, or check with your local Pro audio dealer for recommendations.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Evan Daum

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 pm

No disrespect taken Denny, but your suggestion seems like major overkill to me, and costs a lot more. Now he's got two suggestions depending on budget and needs. I use the Zoom R16 all the time, it's actually a great little unit for the price, but obviously everyone's needs are different. I also have an RME UFX and a Mackie DL32R, both of which could also be options. I suggested the least expensive one, since that seems to be what most people are after on this forum. ;-)

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 am

Yes, it is good to have options. Not sure how many audio inputs David is looking for? I have and use an old broadcast 3-channel field mixer, and the Skynd Devices Mix PreD, which is also great. Good to hear the Zoom mixer works well. For me, Audio is more important than video in many cases, so I tend to lean towards the higher end gear, Mackie, Sound Devices, and Black Lion, as well as Apogie gear.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Evan Daum

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 6:41 pm

My UFX is Black Lion modded, so I hear ya!

Return to Live Production