SFP for Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Dmitry Sergeev

SFP for Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 6:02 pm

What kind of SFP suitable for Studio Camera 4K?

I can buy Cisco GLC-SX-MMD.

Will work?
http://www.specmedia.by

Benjamin Higginbotham

Re: SFP for Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Alas, no that won't work. That is a gigabit data SPF. You'll need a SMPTE video compatible SFP. Depending on your needs, this is a pretty good list of SFPs that should work: http://www.markertek.com/category/video-sfp-modules
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 11:57 am

Or just buy the official SFP's from BMD.. Then you are exactly shure it works with there equipment.!! ;)

Blackmagic Studio Camera Accessories
3G-SDI SFP Optical Module
SFP Optical Module

Optical fiber modules that work in SD, HD and up to Ultra HD for adding optical fiber to your Blackmagic Studio Camera.

3G-SDI SFP Optical Module $115
6G-SDI SFP Optical Module $195

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 4:32 pm

Depends on need. If you just need a full wave SFP, then the BMD units are fine. But if you need to integrate in to a CWDM/DWDM workflow then you need to buy something from someone else.

Most will just be 1310nm full wave and call it a day so the BMD SFPs work fine. But there is a certain magic in cramming 18 cameras down 1 strand of fiber optic cable. Need CWDM for that.
Benjamin Higginbotham

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Benjamin Higginbotham wrote:But there is a certain magic in cramming 18 cameras down 1 strand of fiber optic cable.

STOP IT! that kind of talk gets me excited... :lol:
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 1:44 pm

16 is what we do.. But we do this by a SDI mux.. To do this direct from the camera.. And then optical muxing is do-able if you have enough knowlage about fiber and keep a tight notes or what module is were..

Also you have to match frequency of the SFP's to the right fiber mux port.. So easy is out of the window for most users here..

Also i go up to 16.. Not 18??!! And 16 or 18 channels CWDM on 4K modules ? I have not seen a working version of 4K sfp's with cwdm channels.. But i looked a month ago. So it could be different now..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 4:22 pm

There are enough waves on CWDM to do 18 and you can get a Nevion filter to take care of all of that. The great thing is that all the BMD gear works with CWDM SFPs including the routers. So you can get a pretty powerful solution.

For ease of use there are boxes that do all of the E>O, muxing and O>E conversion for you. They typically only do 8 channels though. Just plug in your 8 electrical SDI signals, put a fiber optic cable between the boxes and you get 8 outputs on the other side. I personally don't use these as they don't have enough density but it takes all of the voodoo out of needing to match the wavelength to the mux port.
Benjamin Higginbotham

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 9:29 am

Well these mux your talking About do have cwdm sfp's inside.

We are building one for 12G with 16 channels. The hardware is ready. But we did not Find a sfp supplier that has 12G on cwdm that works... they are very Busy developing them.

Doug Johnson

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:40 am

Who is making CWDM SFPs that work with the BMD gear? Do you have a trusted source?

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 am

we have bi-di sfp in our OpticalFiber Mini Converters, only one strand between ends instead of 2. I forget where I found them, will look when I get home next week.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production