BM Converters flickering / power draw issue?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Adam Millington

BM Converters flickering / power draw issue?

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi guys

So I am really stumped on this one.

I have the following chain...

HDMI output > HDMI to SDI BM Micro Converter > SDI to Analogue BM Converter > SDI Cable > TV

All works as it should, I get a live feed of what I'm videoing but the image flickers, the signal disappears and is replaced with a fuzz for between .5 and 3 seconds and then returns. This didn't happen when I tested the set up before some events, but happened multiple times out and about. The first time it happenes I blamed the venue's questionable power. It took me ages to narrow it down but I have two of each converter, and multiple of all cables and adapters.

I initially thought the converters were overheating as they do get very hot, but after taking a hair dryer to them all while they're chugging away, I couldn't replicate the problem that way.

I plugged something in while I had my eye on the screen and boom, it flickered in the exact same way. All of a sudden I can make it flicker whenever I want. Tried it on an empty double socket the other side of the room and it happened again.

BASICALLY, even the smallest change in power draw on the same ring main makes my converters freak out and when I'm working in arenas and the power line I'm on is always shared with all sorts, that's why my feed is awful and constantly drops. The SDI Lock LED on my SDI to Analogue converter flickers when the screen does so I'm assuming that's the one affected. I have two of these, and both do it. Surely not all of them do it, or I would have found a similar thread before now?

Anyone else had this? I have two events this weekend and it's obviously super important I don't show up with the same choppy feed as I have done previously!

TIA!

Azhar Zaini

Re: BM Converters flickering / power draw issue?

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 5:00 pm

i also had same issue, but my problem is because of the venue itself. but for me i will check :
1) sdi cable length - recommend not more than 100m
2) can use Blackmagic Design Mini Converter SDI Distribution to boost signal
3) can try use humbucker for signal humming

Jacob Abramson

Re: BM Converters flickering / power draw issue?

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Try a different (different brand/model) for the SDI cable. Some of my converters are really sensitive to certain cables. Interestingly enough, sometimes the 4k converters work better than the standard ones.
Equipment In Use:
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
ATEM Production Studio 4K
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k