Interface ATEM Studio converter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tarek Saneh

Interface ATEM Studio converter

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 am

Hi Guys,
I have the Eartec Ultralite wirless talkbak, i need to connect it to the Atem studio converter, the eartec have a wirless to wire interface that can be connected to different wired intercom systems (Clearcom, RTS, Telex and Porta Com) http://www.eartec.com/thehubinterface.html
What will be the easy way to do it and wich interface (Clearcom, RTS, Telex or Porta Com) should i buy, that will be the easiest to connect with the Atem Studio converter?
sorry for my english and thank you
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Tarek Saneh

Re: Interface ATEM Studio converter

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 10:15 am

Any idea guys
Tarek Saneh
Dubai - UAE

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 1:33 pm

The problem is that what you show is a Partyline system.. You need a Partyline to seperate audio conversion..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Tarek Saneh

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Daniel, this eartec have a link port in the device when you plug there interface you can connect it to clearcom or rts they have different interface configuration depending on ur intercom system, they dont have one for BM studio converter, so i have to choose an interface (example clearcom) and integrated myself with BM studio converter, with digital to analogue audio converters.
So my question was witch interface is the easiest to integrate (clearcom, RTS, Telex or Porta Com) with BM camera converter?
If anyone integrate BM studio converter with Intercom system
Tarek Saneh
Dubai - UAE

Sebastian Reg

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi,
Good question? Any idea?
6 cameras (PMW 300) flypack in Poland, we work in EU area. Best quality, but Polish prices :).
https://www.onestream.pl/

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 8:48 am

To interface a two wire comms system such as RTS with the BMD comms you need a 2 wire to 4 wire converter.

A Studio Technologies interface would be the best option if you don't have an existing RTS system. http://www.studio-tech.com/product_m45a.html

If you have already got RTS comms then DSI2008 is their currrent 2/4 converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Bdunlap32

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Did you or has anyone had luck with this integration? I am trying to do close to the same. I would like to take the audio out and return from on of my camera converters and run to my comstar wireless base stations that has the 4pin XLR input.

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 6:07 pm

I've done it from the original studio converter. tedious and expensive. AES to analog conversion then through a ST Model 45 to RTS. Sound quality was bad (hissy white noise) and the gate on the SC microphone at the time was a deal breaker. AES to analog was about $500, Model 45 was $2500. 3 grand and bad sound...we use a completely separate system now. If you need direction to make this "work" let me know...happy to help but don't get your hopes too high.

Brian, your ComStar may not need the Model 45, the 4pin XLR may already be 4W (separate talk and listen circuits). If this is the case then maybe you need only convert this to AES to connect to the Studio Converter. There isn't very good info on the ComStar website, I'm making assumptions here that may not be valid...also assuming you use one of the studio/talkback converters along with your camera converters...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 9:17 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:we use a completely separate system now.

We have both Eartec UltraLite & Comstar systems and they work for us unless the building is extremely loud. The Eartec don't have sound isolation capabilities so we're looking at aviation headsets connected to a BlackMagic Talkback Converter. We are investigating the options in bridging the two systems (Eartec Comstar or UltraLite) with the Talkback Converter.

However, you indicate that you have a completely separate system now. If you don't might, could you share with us what your new system is and its pros/cons?

Thanks.

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 10:40 pm

We have a couple of different systems. The biggest pro and thing they all have in common is that they work WAY better than anything BMD has offered to date.

The base system is a two-wire party line by RTS. A central power unit (PS10 or PS31) connects to many user belt packs via standard XLR cable. The belt packs (BP325) offer two channels of communication, and use widely available headsets (BeyerDynamic DT108, DT109 to name 2) with multipin XLR connections (4pin or 5 pin male xlr). They crank enough headphone volume for outdoor motorsports/concerts. Dual ear and noise isolation headsets (David Clark headsets) are easily added when needed, or go with a lightweight headset (Telex PH88) if thats your thing.

Our bigger system use a matrix intercom, the Zeus or Zeus3 also by RTS. This multiport (24 or 32) 4-wire base has MANY options to expand or upgrade. The rack mount stations (KP12, KP32, expansion panels) can have upwards of 32 talk/listen keys, each key infinitely programable to be a single talk path, or to multiple users. It can interface with the party line system above, telephone, internet, IFB, radio systems...well just about anything. We also have added Dante networked audio to many of the ports, and now use Dante belt packs for com/ifb simply by plugging the belt packs into a managed POE network switch, even remotely connected by fiber miles away.

All of the above have been integrated into our production systems, so that cam/audio/coms connections are all available in one remote fiber connected box. Deploy a box anywhere you want to work. A short harness from this box is all that's required to make a camera position fully functional.

The only con I can come up with is maybe price. A fully loaded Zeus system could easily run past $10k+. In terms of flexibility and ease of use tho this type of system has no equal. Giving your director a single panel/headset that can talk to multiple discrete systems is THE way the big boys do it.

You don't need to break the bank to have any of this. Components to RTS and Clearcom (another great com ecosystem) are available in the used market for a fraction of what new gear costs. Most times they work well-it's difficult to break these things. The headsets are the only thing I'd prob buy new in that case...

I'm always happy to help anyone out with shopping a complete system together :-)
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Linden deCarmo

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 10:55 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:We have a couple of different systems. The biggest pro and thing they all have in common is that they work WAY better than anything BMD has offered to date.

..I'm always happy to help anyone out with shopping a complete system together :-)

Our use case (single campus church) is quite a bit simpler than yours and our distribution is SDI only, no fiber. What we need to be able to do is add noise cancelling headphones to our existing Eartec UltraLite solution for scenarios where it becomes difficult for the camera operators to hear. Would be very grateful if you could provide some equipment suggestions to integrating noise cancelling headphones to the Eartec solution.

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 2:18 am

I'm not really familiar with Eartec, but after a quick glance at their site the ultra lite seems to be all integrated into the headset. i don't see how you could change the headset at all with that type of system. also, i don't think i've ever heard a wireless system that can compete with a wired system for headphone output. high volume=less battery life so not surprising.

if you can interface your eartecs to something like my RTS partyline you'd have both more volume and better headset options. you would have to run a XLR to your camera positions to make that work tho.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production