Multichannel audio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Platon Kavvadias

Multichannel audio

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 pm

What do I need to get a multichannel audio from a digital audio console ?
I usually get a stereo xlr signal.

Using bmd 2 m/e and hyperdecks.

Thanks

Jack Fairley

Re: Multichannel audio

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 pm

ATEM only does two channel audio. Hyperdeck will take up to 16 channels, but you will have to embed the audio from the mixer after the ATEM in the signal chain, or get audio directly into the deck.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Platon Kavvadias

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:ATEM only does two channel audio. Hyperdeck will take up to 16 channels, but you will have to embed the audio from the mixer after the ATEM in the signal chain, or get audio directly into the deck.

It's better to get it directly to the deck. What equipment do I need ?
Something like this: http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/a ... nsformers/

Anything else ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Fairley

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 12:22 am

Depends which model you are using. HyperDeck Studio Pro will just take stereo XLR (analog) in.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

roger.suski

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 2:44 am

There may be units that are a bit more elegant, but are likely to be very spendy. You'd want a 16ch DANTE SDI audio embedder. Yeah...that's gonna be expensive.

You could rack it up nice, get 16x audio jacks on the back, connect to 2x audio embedder cards (the expensive ones do 8 per card -- evertz, opengear, etc)

Or, you could do the BMD throwdown Audio to SDI and configure them to do 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16 (making sure that unit 2,3,4 are set to bypass up the line) but you'd also need to ensure you get TRS rather than XLR

As the guy above said, this would be between program switch and your recorder.

Thomas Seewald

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 4:53 am

....but you'd also need to ensure you get TRS rather than XLR

When I remember correct, there are balanced, so technically no difference to XLR.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

roger.suski

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Right, but what I was getting at is that the physical connection on the BMD devices are 1/4" TRS -- I travel with a lot of adapters, but not quite 16 XLR-> 1/4" deals :)

Tony Moffat

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 am

Hi Platon,

It depends on what you want the audio for.

If it is a surround mix as well as a stereo mix or you want multiple mixes (stereo program + stereo effects + stereo music + iso commentators + other language for example) and 8 channels will suit your needs then there are cost effective solutions from Lynx Technik, Hotronic, Ensemble Designs and a few others. A Google search of SDI audio embedders and de-embedders will show a lot of options. Apantac do some good cost effective de-embedders. If your console has multiple AES outputs these embedders are cheaper usually than models with analog audio.

Depending on the embedder patching and pass through ability you can cheat to 10 channels by using the ATEM 2 channel audio on 1 and 2 then embed the other 8 channels on 3 to 10.

Your signal path would be to use the ATEM as you normally would with 2 channels of audio the take the HD SDI output into the embedder and add the addition channels of audio to the HD SDI signal and feed this to the recorder. If the embedder will not pass already embedded audio then you do all the audio embedding in the embedder.

Now if you want to multitrack audio for music then a better option is stand alone audio record from the console and sync the systems via timecode.

There are of course other options but these come at a price.
Tony Moffat.
Technical Producer/Director.

Return to Live Production