Record h.264 with ATEM TVS HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Johannes Furrer

Record h.264 with ATEM TVS HD

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Hey everybody,

I just got a ATEM Television Studio HD (the small one) and I'm trying to figure out how to record h.264 by connecting it to a computer running Media Express.
I was under the impression that this feature is available with this switcher, but I can't find any documentation specifically for the HD model of the TVS. All I can find is documentation for all kinds of ATEM switchers and there it says, that with the Television Studio model, I should connect the switcher via USB 2.0 to my computer and should then see it as a device in Media Express(which I don't. It says no device connected).
Windows recognizes the switcher and so does the ATEM Setup Tool. I've also tried older versions of software without any luck.

So is this feature (recording your program out) just not available in the HD model of the TVS? Is the USB port just there to setup the switcher?
If that's the case I would need another piece of Hardware like the Ultra Studio Mini or the Ultra HD Studio Mini or an intensity shuttle or something like that, right?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Record h.264 with ATEM TVS HD

PostSat Jul 01, 2017 1:56 am

You're correct, it's only possible on original ATEM Television Studio not the new "HD" models...
You will need some capture card. You mentioned a few, there's also PCIe capture card "Decklink" line, that can do the trick.
Then you may use software such as OBS, XSplit etc to encode video to h.264 in real time and save it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Return to Live Production