ATEM Studio HD Pro with Sony PMW-200

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Simon Peyer

ATEM Studio HD Pro with Sony PMW-200

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi guys

I used the ATEM Studio HD Pro rack version, with two cameras from Sony. The camera is the sony xdcam pmw-200.
Since the new generation of atem studios provides a SDI talkback. I was wondering if this may be compatible with the given Sony camera o not?

Is tally, talkback, color corection or any other feature available with this camera?

Thanks a lot
Simon

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Studio HD Pro with Sony PMW-200

PostTue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi Simon,

In short NO!!
these functions are only supported on a few models of Blackmagic camera's.

There are third party solutions coming Out soon that Will do conversion between atem return protocol and camera's like Sony Panasonic and jvc.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Simon Peyer

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks

Yeah this is the official version. But I'm interested if any other camera companies make use of channel 15/16 of the sdi protocol for talkback?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 1:18 pm

No they don't as far as i know.. And i keep a close eye to that market as we are developing a 3rd party box that does that for you. Vmount box that you put on the back of your camera and does all the protocol translation and intercom to be compatible with the Atem. ;)

It's a Atem camera converter on Steriods.. :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Sander Vreuls

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 pm

The only camera I know that had such a function was the Grass Valley Infinity camcorder.

It had something similar where you could have engineering, production and program mapped on analogue, digital (Aes) or embedded channels both in and out (camera had HD-SDI in and out).

Only thing stopping it from being used with the Blackmagics is that it only uses channel 1-8 from the SDI.. So with remapping (through a decimator or so?) It could be used.

Then again that is an older HD shoulder camera and not one you can find easily.

Return to Live Production