Old 1me panel not connecting to new 2 me switcher

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ron Bland

Old 1me panel not connecting to new 2 me switcher

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:41 am

Installed a new 2m/e 4k production switcher today and all seemed fine. Computer can control the switcher running 7.2 software. Computer also installed an old 1m/e control panel and the computer sees both, but they don't talk to each other. All network is correct with direct Ethernet between units. There are fast flashing lights on the connection from the computer but a slow flashing light just on the left side between the panel and switcher. Uninstalled 7.2 and installed 6.9 on all three, same result. This was connected to a mini Mac.

Unplugged the panel and plugged it into an old pc running 3.5, after it installed, the old 2m/e2 4k switcher ran beautifully controlled by both the computer and the panel so obviously the Ethernet ports work and the hardware seems fine.

Then I went back to the new switcher and put 6.5 on it and the control panel, but again they still don't talk.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I've been assured by several BM people that they should work together.

Could it be one is installed from Mac and another from PC? It appears to me that something is blocking the communication through the panel in the newer/mac setup. All setups were fine according to that software. Also the led on the right of the panel does not light with the new switcher either main or backup.

Thanks

Xtreemtec

Re: Old 1me panel not connecting to new 2 me switcher

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 am

Ron Bland wrote: All network is correct with direct Ethernet between units.

Direct 1:1 straight cable between panel and mixer?? I'm not sure if the panel is Auto MDI..
You might need a Crosscable if you connect directly..
Or best practise just use a network switch in between.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ron Bland

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks. I am using a direct cable and have tried several that work directly between the computer and the switcher but not the switcher and the panel.

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:48 pm

we run this configuration so I know it is possible. have you checked the following?

IP Adresses...make sure that computer, ATEM and panel are all in the same subnet. is panel set to connect to new switcher address?

Working network connections...can you ping both the ATEM and the panel from the computer?

Panel and ATEM must be running the same version of software.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Ron Bland

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 3:57 pm

IMG_3622.JPG[/attachment]Both have the same software version and both can be pinged successfully from the computer.

What version of software are you using?

Do you have the production or broadcast switcher?

Pics of the network info attached.
Attachments
IMG_3623.JPG
IMG_3623.JPG (99.52 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
IMG_3622.JPG
IMG_3622.JPG (54.4 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

MambaFiber.com

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 6:43 pm

there is another setting in the panel where you enter the IP address of the ATEM...the panel has to know where on the network to find the ATEM. if it is not set to 192.168.10.240 in your case the panel will not talk to the switcher.

we currently use ver 6.9 on all of our ATEM units.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Ron Bland

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Solved! Someone on another forum suggested I run the connections through a switch and now they're talking. BM should probably know about this.

Benjamin Higginbotham

PostWed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Technically it's not an issue with the ATEM, although it would be nice if auto-crossover was supported.

When plugging two devices directly in to each other you need a crossover cable. This can be done on the Ethernet controller (sometimes) via something called 'medium dependent interface' or MDI. If MDI isn't available then a crossover cable is required which flips pins 1, 2, 3 and 6. It's literally an Ethernet cable where those pins are flipped around on one side.

When you put a switch between the two the switch basically acts as your crossover (I'm over simplifying that). That is why now it works.

Technically nothing is wrong. Your laptop likely had MDI enabled which is why it worked. A bit surprising the ATEM doesn't support it, but still within expected spec. Just not super user friendly.
Benjamin Higginbotham
TMRO - Making Space Commonplace

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 03, 2017 1:14 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Ron Bland wrote: All network is correct with direct Ethernet between units.

Direct 1:1 straight cable between panel and mixer?? I'm not sure if the panel is Auto MDI..
You might need a Crosscable if you connect directly..
Or best practise just use a network switch in between.
;) :lol: :lol: My first reaction on your post!! :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production