Outdoor live stream basic setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Road Mark Borromeo

Outdoor live stream basic setup

PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 am

I am a total newbie when it comes to live streaming and video. I tried to look at the most basic set up in the forum but most of the questions are looking for something in particular or has something already in mind.

I plan to live stream an outdoor water sports event and I am looking at the cheapest set up with the ff requirements.

4 camera setup
- 1 in the starting line (static)
- 1 in the middle of the course
- 1 in the finish line (static)
- 1 wide angle camera to see the whole race course (static)
Minimum number of operators
A way to overlay the race results after every race on the wide angle camera feed
Audio will come from the announcer

What hardware and software do I need? The control center is near the finish line and the race is a 500meter straight course. Do I need to make a wireless setup for the first 2 cameras?

Thank you very much!

Andrew Martin

Re: Outdoor live stream basic setup

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am

Just a quick general observation on ur question...

First off you've mentioned the word cheap
Cheap by what comparison?
Any of the atem products will fit this project. Obvs. the more expensive vers. will have more features.

The distances ur covering prob. will require fibre converters...
You mentioned wireless cameras agn a wireless feed, if done correctly to guarantee good HD images will not be cheap. Look at a teradek bolt 3000 or similar.

Overlaying graphics, check out Casper CG. It's cheap 'free' but will need a lot of input from the operators time in learning how to create and use the software.
Graphic outfitters are a company that provide great graphic software for almost any sporting event and ur going to need something dynamic if ur looking to create a 'score board" after each "race" but this agn depends on ur budget and relation to ur definitions of cheap.

It can be as basic or as complex as you need, if ur looking to direct camera ops. to get the shots you want to cut to, you'll need an intercom of some type between yourself and them.

In your streaming you could use a general purpose i7 laptop but you'll need a net connection. Don't use RF as when the event is full of people who come along to watch the event all those devices 'polluting' the emediate area with rf will kill ur WiFi or 3g 4g signal.y pull also need software to stream out to ur CDN of choice. Alternatively something like a teradek viddiu or similar device could be used instead of the laptop.
Also consider recording, you'll have a back up to give ur client if the stream goes down, which they can make available after the event.... again an i7 with a capture card and a fast hard drive and suitable software, (but would i in my preference trust a pc to record a feed given I'm working for a paying customer and need to present a final product at the end ... No way ) buy a hyperdeck or similar recorder.

Not a complete reply but each project, budget needs slightly differing gear and workflows.
A.

Return to Live Production