Problem with SDI in (using a HDMI to SDI converter)

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Stéphane Grueso

Problem with SDI in (using a HDMI to SDI converter)

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi, I have an ATEM TELEVISION STUDIO HD and I have some problems with the SDI entries. I do not have any SDI camera or device. I am trying to connect any number of HDV cameras (or an iPad) with HDMI output through an adapter and I can't get any signal in.

There you have a couple of fotos of the device.

I get the green LOCK light when I put the HDMI cable but no signal in the SDI entry in the ATEM. I tried many entrances but without success.

Screenshot 2017-08-16 20.17.33.jpg
Screenshot 2017-08-16 20.17.33.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 4855 times

Screenshot 2017-08-16 20.17.24.jpg
Screenshot 2017-08-16 20.17.24.jpg (118.51 KiB) Viewed 4855 times

¿Any idea what could it be?

Thank you in advance. I'm getting crazy here.

Stéphane Grueso

Re: Problem with SDI in (using a HDMI to SDI converter)

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 pm

I made some advance. I think It has to do with the HDMI signal coming out from the HDV cameras. Another device identifies them as 625i/PAL so I guess that this HDMI signal coming from the the camera is not a full HD signal and that is why it doesn't work. ¿Any thoughts?

Jack Fairley

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 12:28 am

Sounds like the camera is not giving you the correct signal to me. It must match the format the ATEM is configured for or it won't work, unless you use a scaler before the switcher.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Marcus Strandepil

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:Sounds like the camera is not giving you the correct signal to me. It must match the format the ATEM is configured for or it won't work, unless you use a scaler before the switcher.

Exactly! When in doubt I use an external monitor like the Video Assist 4K, which tells me what format my device is outputting.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Television Studio Pro HD, Hyperdeck Mini. Multiview 16, 2 x Dell 32" screens + SmartView 16" HD monitor. Converters.
PCs and MacBook Pros
Behringer X32 Producer for live sound processing and multitrack recording.
850 VA UPS
16 HU flypack.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:07 am

These converters only output the resolution and framerate you put into them.. Connect a laptop with HDMI. Set your output from the laptop to 720P50. set your mixer to 720P50 and you will see you have an image. ;)

If connecting sources that don't run in the same framerate and resolution you need converters with scaling inside of them.. Buy a Decimator MD-HX. And yes they cost 10x as much as these chinese garbage converters... :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Markus Leodolter

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:37 am

You can try to plug your camera to a TV by HDMI, often the TV tells you the resolution and the frequency. If it is not the same than you have set on your ATEM, you have to set it to the same resolution and frequency in your camera.
Which camera are you using?

BTW: These small, cheap units aren´t rubbish as said before. For me they are working reliable. If you need SDI in and Out, they aren´t the right devices, if you need reclocking, they are wrong. But if you just need converting from SDI to HDMI or from HDMI to SDI, they do their job.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 11:45 am

Markus Leodolter wrote:BTW: These small, cheap units aren´t rubbish as said before. For me they are working reliable.

Have fun when you are going 1080P 3G-sdi.. These units come from the security line of SDI devices.. They are not up to spec for SMPTE.. And we had a lot of people in the forum using these to connect a HDMI camera to it..
Camera goes to highest resolution they support (1080P50/60) and Sdi devices down the line don't get it.. (Atems, Recorders ) The buggers don't send out the necesary Packet ID as in the guidelines of SMPTE.. ;)

Also they don't keep them to the rules of HDCP Keys.. Which is from 1 standpoint highly illigal!! But on the other hand it comes to handy if you really have issues with a playout device that does HDCP always on.. :lol:

But no i don't use them anymore for my productions.. To much trouble with them in the past.. They are dirt cheap but they can cause a lot of trouble.. ;) Happy fault hunting next time :lol:
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Markus Leodolter

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 12:37 pm

You have to know what they can and - more important - what they can´t. You are right, you can´t use it for 3G. As half of my cameras don´t support 3G and I stream with 720p50 that´s ok for me.

Tim Douglas

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 11:44 am

I have a slightly different answer, it might be helpful.

I have this device and I had issues with it going into the Web Presenter (which doesn't need matching framerate or resolution).

The converter worked with most HDMI sources, but it wouldn't work with my GH3 cameras. In the end I had to buy the more expensive Blackmagic Micro Converter which worked perfectly.

I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics (this was some months ago) but it turned out that it was just limited in the types of signal it could work with.

My guess is the same will solve your problem, it will be cheaper than a Decimator (although a Decimator would have many more uses if you can afford it.)

These cheaper converters are hit and miss, but can be useful sometimes.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Tim Douglas wrote:The converter worked with most HDMI sources, but it wouldn't work with my GH3 cameras. In the end I had to buy the more expensive Blackmagic Micro Converter which worked perfectly.

You exactly describe the problem with this converter :lol: :lol: Which i tryed to tell already.

Because of the EDID table on the HDMI side of this converter it goes to the highest resolution and framerate the source supports..
Which means with your GH3 it will go into 1080P50 or 60 (depending on if you are in PAL or NTSC country).
Which will lead to 3G SDI in the converter.. Without the right Payload ID (SMPTE 3G payload) some devices will not understand it..
That the problem when you are working with Security range SDI products.. They often don't meet SMPTE standards and so will not work always...

The BMD micro converters / Decimator products are SMPTE compliant and so they should work propperly.! ;)

Return to Live Production