Is it possible to insert a LUT into a video chain?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jon Hart

Is it possible to insert a LUT into a video chain?

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 7:16 pm

In one venue we operate in at work, the video boards have an unnatural red hue to them. We'll get everything looking good in the trailer, but when it gets to the board, it's nastily warm and red.

I know they make monitors where you can use a LUT, so we could use one of those, create a LUT to simulate the screen, and then color based off that. However, we often do streams as well. And if we colored off the LUT, the video board would look OK, but the stream would look wrong.

So what I'm looking for is a box of some sort where I can insert into the video chain just before the board to correct the color and leave the stream coloring intact. Does anything like that exist?

Larry Masters

Re: Is it possible to insert a LUT into a video chain?

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 7:41 pm

See if the Teranex Mini - SDI to HDMI 12G would do what you need.

Jack Fairley

Re: Is it possible to insert a LUT into a video chain?

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Jon Hart wrote:So what I'm looking for is a box of some sort where I can insert into the video chain just before the board to correct the color and leave the stream coloring intact. Does anything like that exist?

They are called LUT boxes :) BMD does not sell one that isn't also a converter of some kind, but the Teranex Mini converts will store a LUT.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Live Production