Mini Converter Analog to SDI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Nick Serabyn

Mini Converter Analog to SDI

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 3:10 am

I recently purchased a BM Mini Converter Analog to SDI so that I could use a Sony DWP-370 as a practice cam for my steadicam. However, I can't seem to be able to get it to send video to my SmallHD 702 Monitor. I have both BNC and S-video Y cables available, and have tried a number of different combinations, but I can't seem to get it to send video. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this setup work, or the right combination of switches on the converter? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Denny Smith

Re: Mini Converter Analog to SDI

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 pm

What is the Sony DWP-370, a camera? I did a Google search, nothing came back matching this.

The various inout settings for analog Composite (single BNC), component (3-BNC) and SVideo (2-BNC) are in the units back. You will need a BMC to SVideo adapter cable to use SVideo. Also if you get the two SVideo connections reversed, you will not get a video signal. If this is what is happening with correctly set DIP switch, then try reversing the two BNC connections. If you need the BNC/SVideo adapter cable, I have them available, PM me.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Nick Serabyn

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks for the quick response! Sorry for not responding sooner, I got a last minute job out of town and wanted to be able to test everything before responding.

I accidentally misspelled the camera's name originally, it's a Sony DSP-370. I tried all of those options, including reversing the SVideo BNC connectors, and multiple seemingly-reasonable combinations on the converter switches but I'm still not getting a signal to my monitor; this is the case whether I do SVideo or one of the monitor outs. Besides a potentially faulty cable along the line (maybe my SVideo adapter cable), is there anything else that I could do that I may not have tried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Nick, do you mean a DSR 370? I had one of those cameras, and it worked fine with my BM Mini analog/SDI Converter. Could be the cables. The dip switches need to be set correctly, per the chart on the back.
Try just setting composite first, using a straight BNC cable and see if you can get that to work, then go from there to SVideo.

I have new SVideo to BNC adapter cables available if you need to try another one. I also have some stock of DVCam (Sony) tape available, a,one with the larger DX viewfinder and a Fuji Zoom lens formthis csmers (lens is in mint condition. Also have a remote for zoom/focus servos (Bebob and VariZoom). PM me for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Kane

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 am

Hi Nick

If you are using the S-Video output of the DSR-370 then there is a switch on the camera that you need to switch between S-Video, VBS and Component. By default it is set to Component. The switch is located near the volume controls. It's 3rd from the left on the top row and is called EXT VTR OUTPUT on a DSR-570
The 2 cameras should have the same switches.
I know this switch is required for the 26 pin output and I think it matters for the S-Video on the side.
If you want to test the equipment set dip switch 5 on which sets the converter to composite and run a cable from either composite output to the Y connector.
I can't remember if switch 1 needs to be on or off but I'm sure someone will know
John Kane
VITC Video
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 x 4K 2M/E, 1 x Videohub 40x40, many mini converters

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Good catch John, I forgot about the output selector switch, just above the Audio Monitor select switch on the main control panel. Yes, it needs to be set to SVideo to get the output to work. Component is the large 26-pin connector on the back, in case anyone is woundering (or looking for the traditional 3- BNC connections). Composite and SVideo plugs are on the side of the camera towards the rear.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production