URSA Studio Viewfinder stuttering

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Simon Bachofen

URSA Studio Viewfinder stuttering

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi everyone

I wrote already to blackmagic and the blackmagic distrubutors about this issue, but I am getting mixed feedback. Some say, it's a known problem (but no feedback if they want to fix this) and others say, they don't have the problem.

So, the problem is, that if the camera is set to 50 frames, the URSA Studio viewfinder is slightly stuttering, like a bad framerate conversion. I recorded the issue, sorry for the bad quality, but filming with the iPhone in one hand and turning the camera with the other isn't great, but you can see the problem very clearly. In 60 Frames (or 24/25/59) it is fluent, no problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rej17ymtmhiatqw/URSA.mov?dl=0

Can someone check if they also have this problem? You see it easiest by panning the camera. If it's only my unit, I will send it for repair...but if not, blackmagic please fix this!

best, Simon

Simon Bachofen

Re: URSA Studio Viewfinder stuttering

PostMon Feb 10, 2020 1:18 pm

I finally got an answer from Blackmagic regarding this issue.

And it seems true, for PAL Countries, this screen is not fluent and therefore not suitable for displaying fluent videos in 50 Hz - in my opinion.

According to BM the screen is always working 60 Hz internally and it It is generally doubled for mid P frame rates. So for example, if set to 24fps, the LCD will refresh at 48Hz whilst the Studio Viewfinder will remain at 60Hz. With 24fps this will not be fluent in any case, so not too bad, but 50fps should be fluent, like it is on a Video Assist or the internal screen - but it isn't, because it will duplicate every 5th picture which results in a not so fluent picture.

It's that's ok for a product of this price range and aimed to professionals in broadcast industry can everybody deicide for themselves. Maybe some people aren't as sensible, but the problem is definitely here and it won't be fixed.

Return to Live Production