Add on for fiber

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kevin McGrath

Add on for fiber

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 11:08 pm

I would like to recommend an addition to the fiber camera system
It would be nice to send camera controls over the fiber cable and be recieved at the camera end for Ptz control.
Instead right now I have to run an Ethernet cable along side of the fiber cable
So in the next upgrade please kindly include this option
A simple Ethernet connection at the studio converter and recieve at the camera converter

Please and thank you
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

MambaFiber.com

Re: Add on for fiber

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 am

while a worthwhile request, and one that makes LOADS of sense...i would not hold your breath waiting on BMD to offer something like this. i for one have been asking for something like this for longer than i can remember.

but the good news is that media converters for ethernet can be had for less than $100/set and get you an all fiber solution today without waiting. we actually use managed switches on each end of a single fiber core and run 6 or more separate networks in a lot of our setups. imagine having 1)switcher/router control 2)camera ptz and shading 3)internet access 4)dante audio for mics/ifb and comms. All of this and more along with many video sources with one fiber cable run...we do all of this all the time.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Koen Deschepper

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 am

What you can do is adding a 1310/1550 cwdm to your fiber and a mediaconvertor on both sides. The camera convertor sfp is on 1310 and for the media convertor you need 1550 sfp

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Kevin McGrath

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:while a worthwhile request, and one that makes LOADS of sense...i would not hold your breath waiting on BMD to offer something like this. i for one have been asking for something like this for longer than i can remember.

but the good news is that media converters for ethernet can be had for less than $100/set and get you an all fiber solution today without waiting. we actually use managed switches on each end of a single fiber core and run 6 or more separate networks in a lot of our setups. imagine having 1)switcher/router control 2)camera ptz and shading 3)internet access 4)dante audio for mics/ifb and comms. All of this and more along with many video sources with one fiber cable run...we do all of this all the time.

Ok. Please explain a little further or where can I find this equipment
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 3:50 pm

for your ptz control purpose, your best bet is to grab a pair of media converters from an online outlet like amazon. there are many other places that sell fiber gear, just google. these media converters will need 2 fiber connections. if you are currently using duplex fiber (2 connections per end), you would need to run 2 duplex cables, one for camera converter, one for ethernet converter. if you use fiber cable with 4 or more connections then the single fiber run will carry everything you need. As Koen has suggested, there are are fiber mux devices that will let you combine multiple devices into one piece of fiber. Using his suggestion a normal duplex cable would then carry both your camera and ethernet signals.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 3:57 pm

So you need network because you have Panasonic cameras?
How about Visca? ;)

We are working on something for this but i can't tell to much about it right now..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Brian Hancock

PostSun Aug 27, 2017 1:54 am

MambaFiber.com wrote:while a worthwhile request, and one that makes LOADS of sense...i would not hold your breath waiting on BMD to offer something like this. i for one have been asking for something like this for longer than i can remember.

but the good news is that media converters for Ethernet can be had for less than $100/set and get you an all fiber solution today without waiting. we actually use managed switches on each end of a single fiber core and run 6 or more separate networks in a lot of our setups. imagine having 1)switcher/router control 2)camera ptz and shading 3)internet access 4)dante audio for mics/ifb and comms. All of this and more along with many video sources with one fiber cable run...we do all of this all the time.

And artnet for lighting and control for pa/wirelss mics/ wx comm stations basically all non essential items ;-)

the down and up side of ever piece of production equipment being networked now ... need some decent it skills but it can be very very powerful ... !!

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Here's a great example of what you can get onto only 4 fiber cores...one of the many systems we have built...

2 of the fibers carry the 6x 3G-SDI video, 3x in each direction
we use 3 to get our camera videos to the switcher
the 3 returns are routable via a SmartControl panel plugged into the switch powered by POE, for monitors and such. There are 2 outputs of each feed available, and a dedicated monitor in the rack for confidence of video.

the other 2 fibers connect the managed switches together, sharing the load yet working independently if either fails. the switch has been divided in 5 separate networks, all isolated from each other. the networks...
1. internet
2. ptz camera control
3. future expansion
4. engineering network - ATEM, VideoHub, etc.
5. dante audio network - all comms, commentator mics, ifb, talkback (lazy), etc.

at the control room end, a Dante interface makes the networked audio available via analog XLR (16x16) or MADI BNC (64x64) if you don't happen to have a Dante audio system. Our field boxes for audio are all Dante based POE powered devices, just a simple EtherCon/cat5 cable connects them to the rack. Available we have 2 and 4 channel intercom belt backs, and announcer belt packs and table consoles that accommodate sportscaster headsets or handheld mics with earpieces.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production