SDI Input Issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

stephenmaris

SDI Input Issues

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased an ATEM Television Studio HD for a four camera setup, as well as a hyperdeck mini recorder.

I have one camera (Canon G30) run into the ATEM with an HDMI cable as it is close enough to the switcher. I have another camera (a Marshall Electronics CV502-MB) with about 100 ft. of SDI cable run from the camera to the ATEM direct into an SDI input. I checked to make sure the frame rate was matched to the ATEM settings and I can't get it to show up. I also am unable to get the program (or any other SDI outputs for that matter) to communicate with the hyperdeck Studio Mini.. "No Signal."

Long story short, I can't seem to get any of the SDI inputs/outputs to work.

I have Belden 1694A RG6 Low Loss cable. I've tested the cables with a cable tester and they're sending signal just fine.

I have updated the firmware on both units.

Here's the fun part.. When I plug the Marshall's cable into a Blackmagic Micro Converter (SDI to HDMI) then I can see the camera in my program. So once again, I know the cable is working and it shouldn't be too far as it's only about 100 feet. And even still, I'm not able to get any SDI outputs from my ATEM to communicate to the SDI input on my hyperdeck with a 1ft cable.....

Anybody have any ideas?

MambaFiber.com

Re: SDI Input Issues

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 pm

what format do you have your ATEM set to? 1080i59.94 or something else?

select color bars on the ATEM program output buss via the red buttons in the software control screen. verify you see bars in the Program box of the multi viewer. configure your multi viewer to show inputs 5-8 on any 4 of the 8 routable boxes if they are not there already. connect a short cable from the BNC PGM out on the back of the ATEM (it's next to the HDMI multi view connector) to a monitor to ensure it is working and that you see the color bars. now take this cable from the monitor and connect it to one of the BNC SDI inputs (5-8). you should be able to see the bars show up on the corresponding input box on the multi viewer. if you do not see color bars on the input windows, your switcher likely has a problem and you should call BMD support for troubleshooting/replacement.

if the above test works and you do see bars on the ATEM input windows, then you are probably not seeing your Marshall cam due to wrong resolution/framerate or simply a bad cable. sort this part out first and then we can move on to your hyper deck...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production