Solutions for live profanity delay

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

martinpagh

Solutions for live profanity delay

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 12:33 am

Hi there

My company is doing a live streaming event for a major client. We're streaming an event with 7 different cameras and we have the entire setup figured out by now.

Unfortunately we've just received a request to introduce a delay in the stream to deal with profanity and unwanted incidents.

We need to be able to deal with both audio and video incidents, so beeping or garbling undesired audio and blurring our blacking out undesired audio. And both, should the incident be both loud and visual.

Our setup is an HD-SDI camera and a separate audio stream. This audio and video stream is fed into an UltraStudio Express connected to a computer that does the encoding.

What kind of solutions can you recommend? I'm open to a software based solution, but I assume I'm going to need hardware in between the video/audio feed and the UltraStudio Express.
Martin Pagh Ludvigsen,
Venice California

Thomas Seewald

Re: Solutions for live profanity delay

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 am

A simple way (when streaming in SD): Use a Harddisk recorder with timeshift function to delay video and audio.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

JohnBengston

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am

I think this is pretty hard to do. I heard the system developed a decade or so for "Reality-TV" 24/7 online and Red-button(UK specific-ish) streaming with a 20 minute delay. Made the guy(s) who worked it out a lot of money, and I think there is a patent on it.

From a purely logical point of view, and without any extensive experience working with the existing solutions out there, I think you need a computer with 3 SDI channels (Decklink, since we are on a BMD forum).

Channel one is used to ingest material to an edit codec like Motion-JPEG or ProRes or DNxHD. Files are captured in, for arguments sake, 1 minute chunks.

Channel two plays a playlist of chunk recorded from channel one, to the transmission chain, but starts playback 10-15 minutes behind where it is being captured.

Channel three also has a playlist of the same captured chunks, but is used by an operator to navigate around the window of material, that has "been captured" but not "played out", and that operator makes edit decisions, and updates the playlist for channel two. Basically choosing where a cut should be made between the mixed programme output, and a default alternative picture/audio.

I believe the streamlined solutions automate the edit process, by using a couple of buttons to automatically insert audio and video edit decisions in the play-out timeline. i.e. When button 1 is pressed; Insert a cut to "birds singing" from 5 seconds before this point in time, until 2 seconds after the button is released. Not having read the patents, I don't know for sure, but I think they relate to this automated editing process.

Good Luck, if you find a cheap alternative or develop your own system, please let us know.

Cheers

John

Ronak Desai

martinpagh

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 pm

Hey everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions. Thomas and iTech, your respective solutions only work for an SD signal, and ours is HD through SDi.

JohnBengston, I like your thinking, and your suggestion makes sense. I'm trying to avoid it, though, as it requires us to build a custom solution and invest in hardware that probably isn't available to rent. If you know of any proprietary solutions that do what you propose I'm very interested in knowing what they are.

So far I've found this product. It looks like it does what we're looking for, but purchasing seven of these is out of the question and I worry about the availability of seven of them for rental. I'll give them a call today to see what they can do, but I'm still very open to suggestions.

http://www.abekas.com/product/AirCleaner/page1038.htm
Martin Pagh Ludvigsen,
Venice California

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Are you actually streaming each camera independently or are you just wanting to stream a live mix from those seven cameras?
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

martinpagh

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:Are you actually streaming each camera independently or are you just wanting to stream a live mix from those seven cameras?

I'm streaming each camera independently. The user can pick a feed to watch in their browser.
Martin Pagh Ludvigsen,
Venice California

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Ahh... .ok. I guess no "cheap" solution exists for what you want to do then. That's quite a challenge.

martinpagh

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Liam Kennedy wrote:Ahh... .ok. I guess no "cheap" solution exists for what you want to do then. That's quite a challenge.

Tell me about it. We've already prepared the client that this will incur a significant cost increase, I'm just trying to find out what kind of 5 digit number I'm looking at. The crew to man these things alone is going to be really expensive.
Martin Pagh Ludvigsen,
Venice California

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Mar 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Must be a pretty "interesting" event to have that much of a need for video and audio censoring.

I hope you get it all worked out.

Tom_Bassford

PostFri Mar 29, 2013 1:39 am

You could probably do it on a multichannel EVS slomo / replay system, you'd have to work out what content to insert and how to do it but the system can at least handle the multistream delays.

I would get in touch with one of the big broadcast OB rental places such as visions and see what they suggest, jerry-rigging you own system will be hard and even a very slick system will need a lot of man power to run. It's likely that there are rental systems designed for this purpose, though they may only be available as part of bigger systems.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Return to Live Production