ATEM Television Studio Pro HD Feature Request

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ben Doyle

ATEM Television Studio Pro HD Feature Request

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 pm

First off, I'm loving this ATEM Television Studio Pro HD switcher. With only a few hours of "play", I've been able to get it to do just about everything. I only wish it did the following (maybe I'm missing it):

1. Assignable SDI outputs as program or loop through (would make my ISO recordings so much easier without a bunch of DA's).
2. General proc control for color on each input (not just BMD cams), or at least a main output control (I need B&W effects from time to time).
3. Audio delay option.

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM Television Studio Pro HD Feature Request

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 2:49 am

1and 3 are hardware limitations, not changeable via software. Not sure about 2.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 am

2 could be done in software.. But sure would take a frame again.. But even then you need a lot of processor power to do a realtime LUT (because essentially it would be a realtime editable lut on all inputs..)

The Teranex AV can do real time color corrections like Blue Red, Black, Hue, etc..

But i don't see that happen in the Atem mixers or at least in the cheaper models..

3 is always been a problem and if they don't change the way inside the mixer how they handle the audio now it will never happen. They would need to allocate a piece of memory to FIFO store and forward audio packets.. And believe me.. They sure have tryed it @ R&D.. The problem is.. If they would get it right for the Master output.. Then people start complaining that the Aux outputs are not audio sync.. Etc Etc.. :lol: We humans are very demanding :lol:

1.. Well it could be very well possible.. As of now you can dis-able the talkback in every of the 4 output channels.. So that basically means that every output comes (buffered by a output driver) from the FPGA.. The problem is that i do not know from which FPGA.. There could be 2 or 3 inside of the TVS HD.. So it could be that all outputs and multiviewer are done by FPGA A.. While all inputs are handled by FPGA B.

But if those 4 outputs are handled by the same FPGA as the the inputs of those 4 sdi inputs it would be theoretically possible.. But in reallity never happen..

Best practise is to have a 12x12 matrix in your hardware setup.. This gives you also the ability to run extra Aux buses.. Extra feeds to other clients or run some extra monitor outputs.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Colin Sandy

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am

What is meant by hardware limitations? Isn't this ATEM based on an FPGA like all other ATEMs? FPGAs allow for significant feature changes unlike ASICs. I haven't seen the inside of these, what chip exactly would be the bottleneck?
Colin Sandy
Sandy Audio Visual LLC

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 1:39 am

I only know re-routing if the Aux outputs which are for camera returns, was not possible at this time per BM. Think Daniel as it it when he mentioned it is probably a separate FPGA from the main outputs.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 12:15 pm

And yes it they all run FPGA's.. But they use multiple FPGA's.. So one could handle multiviewer and input frame buffering.. While the other does the actual mixing of 2 or 3 data streams and apply effect before going out again.. Nobody knows only BMD.. But for sure there are 2 to 4/5 FPGA's in every atem.. ;)

And yes FPGA's are way more flexable.. But knowing that these FPGA's run quite hot.. And due too costs they will use the FPGA that can just handle it.. Why would you pay $20 more for an FPGA (that runs 50% of its capacity) if a step lower can handle it too.. (While running on 80/90% capacity..)..
I hear you think. What is $20 to a unit of $1000.. Wait until you have to build 100.000 pieces of them.. :lol:
So a lot of gear is running on there tows.. Not much room to implement wild features that take a lot of resources..

This is the difference between Blackmagic and say Sony.. Or like Toyota and Bentley.. It will still drive. Get you from A to B. Will have some features.. But it is not that luxurious..
And Fair to say.. BMD makes a good product.. Implemented much nice features down the years. (Shading from software (Saves you a lot of RCP panels $3000/4000 a piece!!), PTZ control, Talkback and Tally in the SDI lines.. ) and you have acces to all those features for ONLY $999 ;) ;)
If BMD was not been there you would have paid $40.000+ for a Sony panel..
No! Correction: you would not been even in this business! ;)

So lets thanks BMD for the revolution they have started 7 years ago with the Atem mixer!! Because they have done a heck of a job bringing the prices of broadcasting down and make it affordable for the smaller companies to go in business with HD live productions :D

And yes there are things that could have a better implementation.. But after 7 years they still did not fix the Audio deley to match the video output.. So if your production is just that important.. Then fix it with external hardware and create your own work arrounds for those things that bugs you..
(i do run digital mixers like the Behringer X32 to fix the audio delay )
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production