Lens suggestions for BMD Studio Cameras

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Brown

Lens suggestions for BMD Studio Cameras

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Can someone suggest lenses for BMD Studio camera 4k and Micro Studio 4K cameras?

I have been looking at the Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 COMPACT-SERVO Cinema Zoom Lens (EF Mount) for the Studio 4k's, but I'm not sure about the Micro Studio 4k.

Also, If I get that Canon lens will I need some kind of extra support to use it with the Studio 4K camera on a tripod? (Like rails)

This is for a church for streaming and recording the Sunday morning service. The two Studio 4k Cameras will be at the back of the church shooting the stage at about 50 feet. The Micro Studio camera will be used for shots close to the stage (Singers, Band, and preacher.)

Baz

Re: Lens suggestions for BMD Studio Cameras

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 am

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 1:17 am

How do you plan to use a Canon EF lens like this zoom, on a MFT mount camera? Wrong lens or wrong camera. The CN-E zooms are designed for Canon C109/300 cameras or cameras that can support the new Lens EF protocols, like the Ursa Mini 4K EF or the Panasonic EVA-1. You would be better off using a B4 mount adapter in the Studio cameras, and getting 2\3rds B4 HD Servo zooms, the Micro Studio has a special cable tompiwer the lens servos. Corrected B4 mount adapters are available from AbelCine and MTF Services, from B&H or direct.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Howard Roll

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 8:28 pm

With that Canon lens you can't really cut between the two cameras, it serves little purpose to cut from a wide shot to a similar wide shot from a slightly different angle. If you wanted to stay with the Canon's at FOH it would make more sense to have the 18-80mm and the 70-200mm. Zacuto makes a rail based lens support for the 18-80mm. Metabones used to make a smart MFT to EF adapter but it has been discontinued. There's a demo on cinema5D using a Sony 6300 with the 18-80mm so It's probably not that difficult to get it to work.

If I ran the zoo I'd use the Oly 40-150mm f2.8 Pros on the 2 cams at FOH and the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 on the downstage Micro. Compared to the price of even one of the Canon servo zooms you'd have enough cash left over after the 3 Oly lenses to get another Micro with a 12-40 and lock it off on a wide from FOH. You want to get really tricky? Mount it on one of the FOH cams so although the focal length is fixed, though not necessarily it's still a 12-40, there's still movement so it's not always the same static shot.

You can always rent lenses and check them out for a fraction of the price of purchase. Another valuable resource is the pCam app. It's pricey at $29.99 but invaluable for quickly calculating just about any lens value you can think of.

Good Luck

P.S. The Oly lenses are over stop faster which is going to be helpful given the low iso performance of those cams.

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 2:26 am

I second Howard's recommendations. Going to native MFT lenses will be less expensive and allow CCU control over the camera exposures. Shooting from 50-feet back is a fair distance, better to get the cameras in as close as possible. 80mm at 50 feet is going to give you a 18x9 foot coverage area, a wide shot at that distance!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Brown

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 1:19 am

Howard Roll wrote:If I ran the zoo I'd use the Oly 40-150mm f2.8 Pros on the 2 cams at FOH and the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 on the downstage Micro. Compared to the price of even one of the Canon servo zooms you'd have enough cash left over after the 3 Oly lenses to get another Micro with a 12-40 and lock it off on a wide from FOH. You want to get really tricky? Mount it on one of the FOH cams so although the focal length is fixed, though not necessarily it's still a 12-40, there's still movement so it's not always the same static shot.

You can always rent lenses and check them out for a fraction of the price of purchase. Another valuable resource is the pCam app. It's pricey at $29.99 but invaluable for quickly calculating just about any lens value you can think of.

Good Luck

P.S. The Oly lenses are over stop faster which is going to be helpful given the low iso performance of those cams.

Thank you, Howard. Your info is highly appreciated!! (I took me a minute to realize that "Oly" meant "Olympus"! Ii will look closer at those lenses. I need to make sure I can get zoom and focus controls for the tripod.

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 5:29 am

You can get Focus control with a LANC controller, but you are going to need to add a Mini servo to the lens zoom ring, to get remote zoom control. You can also add a follow focus unit to the zoom ring, and use a wip (a knob attached to a flex cable connected to the FF unit) to change the zoom.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production