Live with Mini Converter Optical Fiber and ATEM?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Wilson Luniz

Live with Mini Converter Optical Fiber and ATEM?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi,
I have a few questions about ATEM fiber workflow:
1. Is it possible to use talkback with Mini Converter Optical Fiber between ATEM TVS Pro and ursa mini 4k?
2. Does ATEM TVS Pro output tally signal into SDI? If yes, is it also works with Mini Converter Optical Fiber?
3. Does Ursa mini 4k support color correction over SDI(via ATEM software control)? If yes, is it also works with Mini Converter Optical Fiber?
4. Is it possible to use normal 1.25Gbps SFP(50i or SD) or 8Gbps SFP+(50p/60p) with Mini Converter Optical Fiber? What's the different between ethernet SFP and video SFP?

Thanks!
Wilson Luniz
Generator Stage Production, Macau

Xtreemtec

Re: Live with Mini Converter Optical Fiber and ATEM?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 2:36 pm

YES
YES
YES
NO!

With the mini converters to fiber you just change from copper to fiber and back.. So the signal on these units stay the same.. As they are not alterd in any way by the converters.

The Atem TVS HD Has talkback, Tally and shading data embedded in the SDI outputs. So if you connect the fiber converters right at both ends with dual SDI leads you would have all these options..

Using network SFP's is not recommended.. They use an error correction which will fail at certain sdi signal flows.. Here is why>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49172&p=323070&hilit=pathelogical+pattern#p289398

Just buy the 3G-SDI sfp's from BMD and you are good and safe to go ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Wilson Luniz

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:YES
YES
YES
NO!

With the mini converters to fiber you just change from copper to fiber and back.. So the signal on these units stay the same.. As they are not alterd in any way by the converters.

The Atem TVS HD Has talkback, Tally and shading data embedded in the SDI outputs. So if you connect the fiber converters right at both ends with dual SDI leads you would have all these options..

Using network SFP's is not recommended.. They use an error correction which will fail at certain sdi signal flows.. Here is why>> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49172&p=323070&hilit=pathelogical+pattern#p289398

Just buy the 3G-SDI sfp's from BMD and you are good and safe to go ;)

Thanks a lot! This really reduce my cost!!! But I see this post said color correction may not works in URSA:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=40495
However I found color correction command in the document of arduino shield board. Is that some update done by BMD?
Wilson Luniz

Xtreemtec

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:14 pm

The Ursa mini series, Studio camera and micro studio camera have CCU options.

The big 12Kilo original Ursa i'm not sure off if it ever got the CCU capability.. But that is a huge camera that have been since out of production and even is not for sale anymore..

So unless you have that big one.. It should work.. The big ursa i can not confirm.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Wilson Luniz

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The Ursa mini series, Studio camera and micro studio camera have CCU options.

The big 12Kilo original Ursa i'm not sure off if it ever got the CCU capability.. But that is a huge camera that have been since out of production and even is not for sale anymore..

So unless you have that big one.. It should work.. The big ursa i can not confirm.. ;)

Thank you very much!!
Wilson Luniz

Matt Williamson

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 9:24 am

I have used with complete success different SFP with all BMD fibre devices.
Currently all the converters are sporting 10g BIDI SFP from Ubiquiti.

This is by far the best workflow we have ever had. We are a mobile broadcaster with a small OB. We use multicore fibre into the venue, then split out into various cables for distribution. We used to waste so much time testing the fibre, changing tx/rx cores, having to call or radio to the OB to ask if they receive test signal, take camera for testing etc....

Now, when our tech's roll out fibre, plug in converter, if they see optical LED, they know they have true bidirectional connection. Job Done!

We recently upgraded from 1.25g BIDI SFP to 10g as our workflow has gone from 1080i50 (1.5g) to 1080p50 (3g). Otherwise the 1.25g bidi's worked totally fine.

This is tested working in mini converter, camera converter, Studio camera & studio rack converter.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:20 pm

So Matt runs some Pathelogical patterns trough those Ubi's.. I want to know the results of that..

Theoretically they should fail because the long rows of FF and 00 would trow off the complete error correction system in network data sfp's.. ;)

We did tests were once in every few seconds we had an error (lines, dots, hotpixel, errors in audio, ) This is due to data sfp's don't handle the video signal as it should be..

Not sure if that still excist when you use 10G modules on a 3G video signal.. Or it could be that the Ubi's have a different error correction system then most sfp's.. Would really like to know the outcome of a pathelogical patten test.

Edit:: 1250th post here.. Maybe i spend too much time here :lol: :lol:

Return to Live Production