Web Presenter SDI input saturation problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mike Gluckman

Web Presenter SDI input saturation problem

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello - I have a Blackmagic Web Presenter with the smart panel. Using OBS software and 2 Sony FS7 cameras. Both cameras are set to 1080 60i. The camera coming in HDMI looks great. The camera coming in SDI has really boosted chroma levels making skin tone look like Oompa Loompas. I have already gotten another unit from Blackmagic but still having the same issue.

Thanks!
mike

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Web Presenter SDI input saturation problem

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:20 pm

A few questions:
  1. Are you using SDI port 1 or SDI port 2 on the FS7? Is there any difference in output between the two?
  2. If you press the STATUS CHECK on the FS7 and go to the Video Output Status screen, what does it show for the output settings for the SDI and HDMI ports?
  3. If you connect SDI output from the FS7 to a monitor do you see the same problem?

Mike Gluckman

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Dave - Thanks for your reply!
1. Using SDI 1
2. Already left the studio for the day but will check this tomorrow and post here. Both outputs are set to 1080i 60.
3. SDI output looks fine on 17" monitor. I only see the problem in OBS. Same problem in Skype.

Mike Gluckman

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Checked the Status Screen and both SDI and HDMI outputs show 1080i.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Hmm Weird.. No LUT applied to an output?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Mike Gluckman

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Nope, no LUTs applied.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 am

If you connect the SDI program output from the Web Presenter to a monitor, do you see the same color shift?

Mike Gluckman

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 2:38 am

When viewing the SDI output from the Web Presenter on my Sony 17" monitor, there is no color shift.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 12:06 am

Well, I'm about out of ideas on this one. Given that the program SDI out from the Web Presenter is ok, it seems like there's some kind of problem with color handling when compressing the signal to send over USB to the computer.

Now why this would be different between SDI or HDMI, I'm not really sure. Ordinarily I'd suggest that it could be some difference between color depth (8-bit vs. 10-bit) or chroma subsampling (4:4:4 vs. 4:2:2, etc.) on the output. But I think the FS7 is supposed output 10-bit 4:2:2 over both HDMI and SDI.

If the HDMI input into the Web Presenter is ok, I suppose you could run SDI output from the camera into an SDI to HDMI Micro Converter, then HDMI into the Web Presenter. Not ideal, but might be one workaround.

Mike Gluckman

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 am

Well I'm considering this a "feature". I know this isn't necessarily how the box is intended to be used but perhaps it's something Blackmagic can address in a future software update.

My workaround is to use my UltraStudio SDI. When the Sony FS7 is fed via SDI to the UltraStudio, I can add it as a device on OSB and it comes in looking fine. If I send the SDI output from the UltraStudio to the Web Presenter (UltraStudio has to also be added as source in the scene on OSB so it is active) it also looks fine and allows me to use the 2 switcher buttons on the Web Presenter. Thanks to those chiming in and trying to help!

DrewMedia

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 10:23 am

Hi
I don't know much about Sony, but on my JVC you can change the SDI output to Composite or Component in the settings.... that might be something to look at....if possible on your nice Sony ?

Regards

Return to Live Production