ATEM Talkback Converter 4K and vMix

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joakim Sörensen

ATEM Talkback Converter 4K and vMix

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi guys!

New to the forum but been an avid user of BMD products for a while now.

Me and my company is currently looking at ways to do our sports broadcasts over greater distances without having to go the very expensive route of buying new bigger cameras capable of fiber connections. So the BMD fiber converter units seem to be the smartest way to go.

We are currently pretty invested in using vMix as our "all-in-one" streaming station, literally using a beast PC running vMix to do the mixing, recording, streaming and replays. This is of course very cost effective and we'd like to keep it that way.

So really what I'm wondering is if it's possible to use the ATEM TBC4K on one end and just use it as a way of converting the signal from fiber to SDI? The setup would look like this:

Camera via SDI -> ATEM Camera Converter -> Fiber -> ATEM TBC4K via SDI out -> vMix PC

So all the mixing would be done in vMix with the TBC4K acting as a 8 camera converter and talkback unit. Am I right thinking this would work?

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Talkback Converter 4K and vMix

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Your are correct.

Connect a headset to the TBC4k and some ipod earbuds or good gaming headsets to the Atem camera converters and you are up and running.

Only tally does not work.. You would need some 3th party hardware to get tally from vmix to SDI.. But the tally leds are not very vissible on the Camera converters so i won't spend a lot of effort on that one..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Joakim Sörensen

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:17 am

Thank you!

Yeah the tally was just a bonus but it's not important for us so that's no problem. We're a go for some BMD stuff then! Thanks again.

Tarek Saneh

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 11:40 am

Skaahroj did creat a box that pass tally from vMix to atem talkback converter, so if you have a Blackmagic camera or atem camera converter you can have tally while using vMix as mixer
Tarek Saneh
Creative & Technical Director
http://www.wonderweb.ae
Dubai - UAE

Return to Live Production