Need advice on building a church streaming solution

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jacob Chapman

Need advice on building a church streaming solution

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Hey y'all,

I need some advice from those of you that live stream your events or services every week. We're in the planning stages of building a live-stream broadcast solution and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. What exactly do we need? and is there a method that does what we need to do without a subscription service? Here's where we are:

1) I want to be able to stream to FB Live, but not locked out of other independent options (like our website or our own server). Reliability and consistent quality is the goal.

2) We are running a mostly Blackmagic video setup. We have an Ultrastudio 4K already, and are looking to purchase a new iMac (Pro maybe?) to go in this studio. Do we even need a hardware encoder like the Teradek VidiU/Cube? I'd originally looked at the BMD Web Presenter, and its simplicity is attractive, but I don't want to set our sights too short with a hard cap at 720p.

3) We are already recording to a Hyperdeck Studio, so whatever solution we go with does not NEED to have an archival option (although instant archiving would be nice).

4) Is there a solution that does not require a livestreaming "platform" that we need to subscribe to? For example, would OBS be able to ingest the signal from our Ultrastudio and stream out to FB Live reliably and easily? Just saw today where Vimeo acquired Livestream.com and is creating their own premium platform, but at $300/month for what we'd probably need I just can't stomach it.

We are aiming for excellence in this, and want to do it right while also being good stewards of the resources we have. We see this as an opportunity to reach those who aren't inside our doors on Sunday mornings and we don't want that first impression to be a janky livestream that works sometimes.

Jack Fairley

Re: Need advice on building a church streaming solution

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 5:44 pm

I've never tried it on a Mac, but on PC OBS works fine as an encoder for any platform that will accept an RTMP stream.

A hardware encoder should generally be more stable and easy to use, but if money is an issue you can do without. Facebook Live has a maximum supported resolution of 1280x720 at 4Mbps, which is probably why the Web Presented is 720p.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Jacob Chapman

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 pm

Interesting. Is there a page that lists those maximum limits for FB live?

Jack Fairley

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:03 am

It looks like that's no longer true, but the documentation page is out of date vs the developer page.
https://www.facebook.com/facebookmedia/get-started/live
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/vi ... practices/
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

David Peddicord

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 12:42 am

Andrew Martin

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:58 pm

David Peddicord wrote:We use this.

https://www.epiphan.com/products/webcaster-x2/

Yep, I'm also really liking this device, even though we own teradek viddiu's and other streaming devices costing 3 -4 or even 5 times the cost of the webcaster II I finding myself using it more and more for Facebook live events because of its simplicity and streaming results.

A.

Antonio Greco

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:08 am

maybe you can considering to use a vMix with Balckmagic Design Decklink and Studio Cameras
vMix can drive up to 3 simultaneous streaming
we build a system for a church in Cagliari
Work perfectly
Ciao
Antonio Greco
3MediaLab Srl
Managing Director
Mobile : +39 324 907 2492

Chris Paulhus

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 6:28 pm

This is who we use