My production problem set; solution suggestions requested!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kit Laughlin

My production problem set; solution suggestions requested!

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 am

Presently, I shoot multicam and second system sound on a bunch of G6 Panasonics, record .mov files in-camera on SD cards, cut in Final Cut Pro X, add titles, and send program out to Compressor. We make stretching exercise programs for a Vimeo on Demand channel.

I want to know if it's possible to take HDMI out from three cameras into a deck of some kind, switch between cameras live and record the result? I could then bring the resulting file into FCP only for titling, then out to Compressor to prepare the program for uploading. I want to cut "live" to disk, effectively.

We have SSD RAIDs here, too, so speed should not be a problem.

What prompted this was Vimeo's recent announcement of 'Vimeo LIVE'. I realised that there is no particular utility or advantage to streaming live for my material, but to be able to avoid re-watching the footage and speed up the editing process would be a blessing.

All suggestions gratefully received.
Regards, Kit Laughlin::www.StretchTherapy.net::BodyPress Productions
ATEM Television Studio HD, UltraStudio Mini-Recorder, 4 x Panasonic GX85s, too much sound gear

Kit Laughlin

Re: Multicam recording live to disk.

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 1:09 am

OK; 24 long hours later, and a ton of reading. This is what I am thinking now.

Three panasonic G6 cameras connected via HDMI cables to ATEM Television Studio. Boom mic to mixer into ATEM via XLR.

Use ATEM software interface on MacBook Pro, connected to SSD RAID.

Questions: assuming final titling will done in FCPX as a second step, and final program output to Compressor, what hardware do I need to capture the ATEM output? Could Quicktime on the MacBook Pro be used to do this? I believe that FCPX cannot record directly from an HDMI input, so what do I need?
ATEM Television Studio HD, UltraStudio Mini-Recorder, 4 x Panasonic GX85s, too much sound gear

Robert Frank

Re: Multicam recording live to disk.

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 2:28 am

Kit Laughlin wrote: I believe that FCPX cannot record directly from an HDMI input, so what do I need?

I'm still learning about the BM product lineup, but my first thought is to use a HyperDeck Shuttle or HyperDeck Mini to record the output from the ATEM.

Thomas Seewald

Re: My production problem set; solution suggestions requeste

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 8:18 am

I prefer recording ATEM output to a harddisk recorder, e.g. hyperdeck. The SSD can be read by any Computer by using a SATA to USB adapter or a harddisk bay.

You also can use a computer for recording. When using a small desktop, a BM Mini Recorder could be used.

I personaly are no friend of external capturing hardware e.g. Intensity models. But when a Laptop is used, there is no other choice.....

ATEM control software don't do more than controlling. So your SSD Raid a Macbook can't be used for record without any additional capturing hardware. USB connectors at ATEM are for the most models only for firmware update. Only two old ATEMs stream video over USB. This can be recorded by BM media express.

ATEMs don't like long HDMI connection at its inputus. More than 5m may cause problems. Longer distances are nearly impossible. HDMI cables with integrated amplification may work, but often dont. So I would suggest to invest in some BM Micro converters HDMI to SDI (or third party stuff from Amazon). SDI works proper for longer distances (depending on resultion and framerates). With good cables, dirstance up to 100m are no problem at 1080i50/60.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Kit Laughlin

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 10:53 pm

Thomas, thanks for your reply.

Can I clarify?

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro (so two Thunderbolt ports, and two USB 2 ports).

First, I update the ATEM software via USB, then I connect the ATEM Television Studio to my MBP via USB–Ethernet and Ethernet cable, to control the switching using the BM software.

Second, I connect the BM Mini Recorder to the MBP via Thunderbolt, and my SSD storage RAID via the second Thunderbolt port.

I use the BM Express software to control the Mini Recorder, and to start and stop Capture (SDI out from the ATEM).

Once recording, I use the ATEM software to control the switching.

I will add BM Micro Converters to all three camera's HDMI cables, too, for the reasons suggested.

Does this setup sound like it can work? Thanks!

[Edited; found I had to control ATEM via Ethernet]

Kit Laughlin

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:50 am

An interesting couple of days.

Preamble: MacBook Pro, 10.11.6, ATEM software updated via USB, USB - Ethernet for deck control, testing with two cameras and Rode Filmmaker kit. Set ATEM to 1080p/30. Set both cameras to 1080p/30.

On the audio side, ran out of the Rode into a Behringer tube pre-amp, and out to ATEM via XLR. Sound is excellent, and levels are visible on the Audio panel in the ATEM software, and on Levels on the Program screen on the Multi View. So far, all good.

The cameras have HDMI out; we tested this by plugging the HDMI out leads from the camera separately, and directly into the monitor. Clean HDMI.

The problem was that the ATEM (which we know was connecting properly to the computer; Preview and Program sources were selectable as expected), and the output Multi View saw no signals from the cameras. We disconnected the HDMI-SDI connections, and plugged the cameras' HDMI cables (1 metre length only) directly into the first two HDMI inputs on the ATEM to test whether the HDMI-SDI BM units were the problem. Still no images on the Multi View.

This is where it gets interesting: Reading the manual suggests that the ATEM can be set to 1080p/30 (p.52) and certainly that frame size and rate is an option on the ATEM Preference screen. But no matter which of the camera's internal setting we chose (AVCHD/MP4) and all the options for 1080p/30, the deck could not see any images.

So I set the ATEM to 1080p/60, and the cameras to this as well, and instantly we saw video where we expected to see it (Multi View) and the ATEM cuts cleanly.

We can use this framerate (though we will use twice the space on our drives) and the framerate inherently is not a problem because we are recording live to SDD. We will bring the recordings into FCPX, add titles and effects, and output to Compressor for delivery to Vimeo on Demand, and 60 to 30 fps is a simple conversion.

Sorry for the long post; here's the $64 question: why can't the ATEM see 1080p/30?

ColinMulcahy

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Kit,

Similar challenge. I have 3 Canon XA25's and 3 new BUMP's. I was trying to set all the cameras to 1080p 25. I'd set the ATEM to 1080p25 and the 3 BUMP's would show up.

Even though the Canon's have SDI out they only send 1080i over sdi. So I tried using the HDMI out to a hdmi-sdi mini converter. Even though the HDMI is set to 1080p the cameras still wont show up.

Apparently its the cameras, they aren't actually outputting 1080p 25.
4K setup with 6 x URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (G1 & G2), 2 x BMDPCC 6K, BMD 4/ME Broadcast 4K, 6 x Hyperdeck Studio 12G's, CCU, Advanced Panel with all the other BMD units for Live Production.

Andrew Martin

PostFri Oct 27, 2017 6:34 pm

There's a more than likely scenario the camera isn't outputting what you have it set to.
What you are setting is the cameras recording parameters.
Mostly the output over SDI or HDMI will remain static. 1080 50/60

A.

Kit Laughlin

PostSat Oct 28, 2017 12:04 am

My reply to Andrew is that the cameras I use (Panasonic GX85, sourced in the US for the 60p, 30p, and 24p) do in fact output footage at those frame rates as confirmed by both FCPX and MPEG Streamclip (its analytics).

An update: when I connected my three cameras to the ATEM last night, once again Media Express could not see the cameras' outputs as 1080/30p (29.97).

I disconnected two cameras; reset the whole system, restarted my computer as well, and same result with only one camera.

So I set the ATEM to 1080/60p, and immediately the standard menu appeared in Media Express Prefs: and 1080/30p was selected in ME.

I believe this is a bug in the software.

Not a problem now that I know the sequence, and I have confirmed that ME is recording at 1080/29.97p, so happy camper here.
Last edited by Kit Laughlin on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Martin

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Firstly I'm glad you have a working solution in finding a workaround but...
I think you said earlier ur running into an ultrastudio mini recorder?? If so
You're def. not putting a 60p signal into the BMD ultrastudio mini recorder as it can't handle a 60p signal. It maxes out at 60i which I'm certain of.
But a 60i signal can show as 30p by fooling it by 'throwing' one of the fields away.
And I'm thinking that's the setting media express is seeing and recording. 30psf.
I guess the way to tell for certain what's coming from the HDMI port
Connect it to a tv. Make your settings in camera and when you see a picture on the tv, grab the TV's remote and press the info button and see what it tells you.
I may well be way of point here but plugging into a regular tv will prob. tell for certain.

A.

Kit Laughlin

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 7:52 pm

I may not have been clear: The ATEM allows the selection of 1080/29.97p, but the day before when I connected two additional cameras to the network, suddenly ME dod not offer any menu options (no drop-downs appeared, and only "native frame rate" or something similar was the sole option).

I changed the ATEM's global settings in ATEM prefs, and selecting 1980/59.97p there caused the ME software on a restart to offer the dropdown with 1080/29.97p, and on looking at the recoded program (recorded via Mini Recorder to SSDs) the analytics tell me the final program is 1080/29.97p.

Return to Live Production