TVS Pro HD Pic in pic

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MikeKnight

TVS Pro HD Pic in pic

PostSun Oct 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Hi all,

I know this has been addressed to some extent in various posts but I have a specific question that I can't seem to find any info on.

My company recently bought a TVS pro hd and it works brilliantly for us. One of the types of content we broadcast is live presenters speaking with slides. Until this point I've been using the media player for a background, the USK with DVE to move the slides in position and one of the DSKs (cropped) for the camera on the presenter (the other DSK is used for lower third). This looks something like this:
full.png
full.png (20.31 KiB) Viewed 128 times

It works fine, but makes it very difficult to frame the presenter, as I have to ask the cameraman to frame the subject like this (with very little room for error or they get cut off):
framed shot.png
framed shot.png (7.18 KiB) Viewed 128 times

It also means while I can do DVE effects (fly in/out ect) on the slides, I can't do it for the presenter which for our content would be much better.

I would much prefer to use the USK for the camera so the cameraman can frame more normally and easily, and use the DSK for the slides. However this obviously would require moving the slides on screen which isn't possible with the DSK (only cropping).

I've seen some talk of using a multicam viewer to place a video in one of the 4 corners. While this could work, I'd love to know if there is any way (with hardware presumably) to move a source more specifically on a video stream as we'd prefer not to have the presenter completely flush with the corner for aesthetic reasons. Because the only way I can see at the moment is using an extra laptop with something like wirecast to move the vid and an i/o device to go back to the ATEM which would obviously be a bit overcomplicated...

Does anybody have any experience in this sort of thing? I love the device but the single USK is the biggest limiter for me at the moment given the requirement for great looking pic-in-pic in the field I work in (I'm really trying to squeeze every bit of functionality out of this thing :D ).

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions,

Mike

MikeKnight

Re: TVS Pro HD Pic in pic

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

Sorry to bump this, but it got buried deep in the second page with only a few view by the time my account got sorted and the post was approved!!

Ian Morrish

PostWed Oct 11, 2017 7:12 pm

If the slide show is PowerPoint you can specify a custom show size so it is not full screen. This results in a widow border around the presentation which you can then use a DSK mask to cut out. Presentation is on the DSK, Presenter is USK DVE and Program provides the full screen background image from Media Pool.
See https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2017/02/06/picture-in-picture-pnp-with-blackmagic-television-studio-and-powerpoint/ for PowerPoint configuration to achieve this.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Robert Betzner

PostThu Oct 12, 2017 11:51 am

Simply use a 2ME switcher instead. It has Super Source where you can composit up to 4 Sources in one picture with cropping, scaling and positioning. And you can even use a 5th source as Backdrop (f.e. the mentioned media player).

The TV Studio Pro is simply not powerful enough to do this.

Cheers

Robert

Return to Live Production