ATEM 1 M/E network connection doesn't work

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jonas Arnitz

ATEM 1 M/E network connection doesn't work

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi guys,

i have a problem with our ATEM 1 M/E production studio.

In the setup software i can see the switcher is connected to my windows laptop (Windows 10) by usb and ethernet (CAT 5e, CAT6 - i tried it with both cable types).
I can also switch the ip dress of my switcher and it confirms the modification after unplugging the usb cable and powering off and on the switcher, but I'm not able to connect it to the software control.

I have also checked many times the IP addresses of the switcher and of my laptop - these are adjusted to the standard adresses.

Laptop:
IPv4: 192.168.10.50
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.10.1

ATEM: 192.168.10.240
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.10. 1

This setup works with the Atem production studio (also when i change the ip settings), but not with the ATEM 1 M/E.

Firmware on both devices is updated to V7.2...

Sorry for mistakes in my post, i'm a german technician :D

Thanks and greetings
Jonas

Andrew Martin

Re: ATEM 1 M/E network connection doesn't work

PostWed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Are you connecting through a router or are you connected direct Atem to PC?
A.

Jonas Arnitz

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 7:22 am

Andrew Martin wrote:Are you connecting through a router or are you connected direct Atem to PC?
A.

Hi,

i'm direct connectet, without router.

PC - ethernet cable (CAT5e or CAT 6) - ATEM

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 3:30 pm

Put a network switch between it.. A direct IP connection from laptop to Atem does not work. Or you need a cross cable to do that.

And it is recommended that you put a gigabit switch instead of 100mbit switch.. As UDP traffic is very demanding.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Put a network switch between it.. A direct IP connection from laptop to Atem does not work. Or you need a cross cable to do that.

And it is recommended that you put a gigabit switch instead of 100mbit switch.. As UDP traffic is very demanding.

There are a few things wrong with that statement - a direct connection can work, as he says he made it work with his Production Studio, I've done it with my TVS. With modern equipment, you don't need crossover cables. And secondly, UDP is no more traffic intensive than TCP - in fact, it's less, as there is no automatic retransmission / ACKing.

Of course, I agree with you in recommending using a switch, and gigabit is nice if you want to upload media live, but it is without a doubt possible to connect locally. You need to set static IPs in the same subnet with a proper subnet mask, and no assigned gateway. It might also be necessary to change to a different subnet than 192.168.10.x if you have more than one adapter on your computer.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Oke to chip in on this.. My comment was wrong described.. The UDP traffic of the Atem is very demanding.! That would be the right statement..

Yes UDP is lighter then TCP. But the Atem runs timers inside there protocol. If a packet get lost and the timers don't align, the atem will drop the connection. ;) That is why a lot of people have issues running the atem on Wifi as packets get lost, get delayed, get mangled, etc..

I'm a Atem user for 7 years now. Have owned 6 different models. My experience is that with 100mbit switches depending on brand and other network traffic can have there issues. That is why i DO recommend Gigabit switches all the time!! BTW the newest atems do have gigabit connections. As do most PC's and laptops that you buy these days.. So why not buy a gigabit switch instead ;)

The direct connection working on his Television studio and not at his atem doesn't mean anything as long as he does not describe which exact models they are ;)

If he has a TVS HD with it's new gigabit connection it could be that it does support MDI-X ( Auto crossover) If the Atem 1ME is the old one from 7 years back it could be the problem. I never got those atems running with direct connections.. So put a switch in all my racks.. Which is best practise anyway..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Asgeir Hustad

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Oke to chip in on this.. My comment was wrong described.. The UDP traffic of the Atem is very demanding.! That would be the right statement..

Yes UDP is lighter then TCP. But the Atem runs timers inside there protocol. If a packet get lost and the timers don't align, the atem will drop the connection. ;) That is why a lot of people have issues running the atem on Wifi as packets get lost, get delayed, get mangled, etc..

Aha, interesting! Excellent post, I learned something new today :D And I totally agree with using switches for production ready systems - that's my default setup as well.

Return to Live Production