ATEM Production Studio 4k XLR out

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alar Suija

ATEM Production Studio 4k XLR out

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 11:56 am

Hello,

I have similar problem as shown in this video-

Analog out needs -20 dB trim to avoid clipping. Has anyone else experienced this?

JohnBengston

Re: ATEM Production Studio 4k XLR out

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 1:35 pm

Not a problem with the ATEM, you aren't feeding the correct audio levels to the ATEM if you need to adjust like that.

Depending on where your Audio comes from you may need something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023558-REG/sescom_ses_on_the_level_rca_to_xlr.html

However, if at all possible, fix the problem at source.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello Alar. The analog input on the ATEM is a +4 dBu input with 10 dB of headroom. The digital inputs have 20 dB to full scale which is twice the headroom. Any analog audio signal higher than +14 will start clipping.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Alar Suija

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:00 am

Well, just checked- embedded -18dBFS tone causes clipping and need -2 dB trim for clean output. This is definitely not right. Inputs (both analog and embedded) are 100% okay, checked waveforms.

If i understand correctly, embedded audio must be below -8dBFS?

Our setup is- A&H GL2800 matrix out for video feed, inserted Behringer UltraCurve for delay and brickwall limiter (@ -10 dBFS), unity gain is @ 0 dB VU = +4 dBu = -18 dBFS in digital domain, levels is 0 dB VU = -18 dBFS, peaks to -10dBFS.

Alar Suija

PostFri Oct 06, 2017 5:12 am

I forgot to mention, that our GL2800 is in standard configuration, without driver upgrade, e.g. matrix out is -2dBu, but this has nothing to do with my problem.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 am

It's important to note that users on different sides of different ponds have different scales and working levels. The ATEM is designed for a +4 dBu analog output at -20dBfs which admittedly is tricky for those of you not located where I am. Because of the 10 dB of analog headroom, a good rule of thumb is the level should not go into the red part of the dBfs scale for analog or it will distort. The digital side has 10 more dB above that.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Alar Suija

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 am

I understand, but -18dBFS must be safe? I got an impression, like +10dB (EDIT: it's sound *really* harsh, e.g. hard clipped, usually mixer need driven hard for similar distortion, more like +10 dB over the digital domain zero) gain boost is added somewhere in internal chain. Internal audio mixer absolutely sure raises levels- if i feed XLR input with test tone, clipping begins, when ATEM Software Control Audio panel indicator reads -20dBFS.

All faders @0, audio level below channel name shows -18.5

As I said, program audio is fine, only the XLR output is distorted.

Attached picture, which shows master section settings.

Thank You for help!
Attachments
clipping.png
clip audio levels
clipping.png (35.74 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Return to Live Production