Mini Monitor 4k (PCIe) with Wirecast

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mark Chafe

Mini Monitor 4k (PCIe) with Wirecast

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Hello Everyone,

We are trying to use a Mini Monitor 4k (PCIe) with Wirecast as a video output to an SDI d/a, however we are constantly getting dropped frames. Every time we add layers such as titles or other effects, it will usually drop 10 or so frames at a time, which by the end of a production is almost unusable. Our recordings over SDI seem fine, however any Wirecast recordings have the audio and video completely out of sync by the end of the file. If we don't use the Blackmagic output, all recordings are fine and there are no dropped frames.

One thing I am concerned about is that the capture cards in the system are Magewell. Because of this I don't know how much research was done in building this system, as we acquired it from a client.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte X99-UD5H. The card has been tried in all available PCIe slots with the same result. I have not been able to find this motherboard listed by anyone using these cards or on "compatibility lists". Are there any known issues with this motherboard or could there be other issues?

Complete system specs:
Gigabyte x99-ud5h v1.0 (wifi)
i7-5630k
16GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti
Micron M2.SSD
WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM HDD
Magewell XI400-DE (4x SDI) Capture
Magewell XI200-DE (2x HDMI) Capture

Thanks

Marco Corzani

Re: Mini Monitor 4k (PCIe) with Wirecast

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Did you check in the recording settings of Wirecast that the framerate matches the framerate of your input? This caused frame dropping in my case. I had 25 frames coming in and the recording settings were at 30 frames.

Mark Chafe

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately both the encoding profile, recording format and inputs are indeed set to 30p. Also, the output of Wirecast over the Mini Monitor 4k is set to "match canvas". Our canvas however is 1280x720 @30p and under the output list, the Monitor 4k doesn't show this resolution. Would setting the output to "match canvas" force this resolution, or would it cause problems for the Monitor 4k? We have also tried other output resolutions to the Monitor 4k as well with the same dropped frame issues.

George E. Kennedy, Jr.

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:49 am

Once you engage the output it drains your system resources, if you don’t have a beefy system it can create drop frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gek, jr.

Return to Live Production