HDMI to SDI is overscanning the image

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BrianWiebe

HDMI to SDI is overscanning the image

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm trying to use SDI as a distribution for video from a laptop to projectors and a screen, but the picture is being over-scanned, but reports as being the correct resolution (1080P60) and is showing as fuzzy because its not pixel perfect. I have a set of non-blackmagic SDI items (as below) that is showing it just fine (same SDI cables, source and destination). I also checked it with multiple sources and they all had the same issue.

mini converter HDMI to SDI feeding to a SDI Distribution then to 3 micro SDI to HDMI to feed 2 projectors and a confidence monitor.

I've tried connecting them up to a laptop with the Blackmagic converters setup, but it didn't look like there was anything set to overscan the image. I also checked and the firmware is the current version 7.0.9.

Any ideas on how to fix it so its 1:1?

Xtreemtec

Re: HDMI to SDI is overscanning the image

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Try a different HDMI source and see if the problem stays.. I want to bet that your laptop is acting up going crazy on the EDID info from the HDMI > SDI ;)

EDIT:: You are talking about the MINI converter not the Mirco.. Did you set the Dipswitch 8? i think by head? "Processing" This one MUST be OFF!! Otherwise you will put the converter in Downconvert and will send out SD-SDI.. Hence the fuzy and missing some picture because of the Center Cut ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

BrianWiebe

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:31 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Try a different HDMI source and see if the problem stays.. I want to bet that your laptop is acting up going crazy on the EDID info from the HDMI > SDI ;)

EDIT:: You are talking about the MINI converter not the Mirco.. Did you set the Dipswitch 8? i think by head? "Processing" This one MUST be OFF!! Otherwise you will put the converter in Downconvert and will send out SD-SDI.. Hence the fuzy and missing some picture because of the Center Cut ;)

I checked and processing was off (its actually switch #1 as listed on the back) and it made it very fuzzy when I turned it on. I checked other switches and they didn't do anything (they were all off and I tried turning them on one at a time.) but nothing.

I tried a Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-S380), but that only showed the splash screen, then went black (HDCP issue?)

Brian Hancock

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm

the devices have no control over this ... they are simply converters the issue lies in how the converter is presenting itself as an HDMI source/destination ... any laptop has the ability to solve this through your video card software ... not just windows screen resolution ... but actual nvidia, AMD, or even Intel on board software.

same for mac they have an overscan sliderbar.

should be a simple fix ... as to the root cause why present your pj with 1080p if it's not a native hd. projector go with a lower resolution ... you will not lose any quality because well you didn't have it to begin with :-).

BrianWiebe

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Brian Hancock wrote:the devices have no control over this ... they are simply converters the issue lies in how the converter is presenting itself as an HDMI source/destination ... any laptop has the ability to solve this through your video card software ... not just windows screen resolution ... but actual nvidia, AMD, or even Intel on board software.

same for mac they have an overscan sliderbar.

should be a simple fix ... as to the root cause why present your pj with 1080p if it's not a native hd. projector go with a lower resolution ... you will not lose any quality because well you didn't have it to begin with :-).

I am using a HD projector (Christie LWU505 - 1920x1200 including 1920x1080) and I tested with a 1080P screen (Samsung). Should I get an EDID minder such as the Gefen EXT-HD-EDIDPN and put that in between to lock it to 1080P60 or will it still overscan it?

Brian Hancock

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 1:13 am

have you tried just changing the over scan like suggested on the laptop??

Return to Live Production