Live Production Trailer

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Doug Johnson

Live Production Trailer

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 2:40 pm

For anyone who may be interested, I’m currently building a live event production trailer, using mostly Blackmagic Design products. I’m documenting the construction process on my YouTube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2k2JbThmuq

Denny Smith

Re: Live Production Trailer

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Nice work, well thought out. Would be good to know,the model number on the LG monitors you are using that have interlace and progressive video,signal capabilities. Thanks.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Nice video log..

I have done a similair project over the last 2 years.. Complete teardown and rebuild of a trailer.
Almost done but i'm already very happy with the result.

8,5 meter 12G-SDI 4K OBV, Most parts running on BMD gear. ;)
And from next year also with a 4K fiber camera solution. :D
My buildlog is on FB. https://www.facebook.com/xt2obv/

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Doug Johnson

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Nice work, well thought out. Would be good to know,the model number on the LG monitors you are using that have interlace and progressive video,signal capabilities. Thanks.
Cheers

It's an LG 27UD68-W.

Doug Johnson

PostSun Oct 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Nice video log..

I have done a similair project over the last 2 years.. Complete teardown and rebuild of a trailer.
Almost done but i'm already very happy with the result.

8,5 meter 12G-SDI 4K OBV, Most parts running on BMD gear. ;)
And from next year also with a 4K fiber camera solution. :D
My buildlog is on FB. https://www.facebook.com/xt2obv/

Looks great! You're definitely going for something higher end than I am -- mine is only 6G-SDI. It's also smaller at just 16 foot (just under 5m). I am using fiber from the outset, though, since SDI can only travel so far over copper.

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 3:22 pm

nice work, both of you!
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Scott Ryan

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Looks really good. I'm guessing you have an electrician background? All that looks very professional and clean. I know video but I wouldn't even know where to start on the electrical end of it.

Doug Johnson

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Scott Ryan wrote:Looks really good. I'm guessing you have an electrician background? All that looks very professional and clean. I know video but I wouldn't even know where to start on the electrical end of it.

Thanks!

I don't have a background as an electrician (software developer, actually), but I have a good friend who is an electrician who has looked over and approved my work in the past, and he has taught me a lot about the principles and what is and what isn't allowed and/or safe. I've also got a good book on the subject I refer to when in doubt.

Thomas Seewald

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 7:41 am

I like it. For me as an amatuer, it is a dream to create an own small OB-van or trailer. So I'm still waiting for the next updates.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Well we have created OB spaces for others, but so far have preferred to keep everything of ours in flight cases. Makes it easier to mix and match our gear to any rental requests.

This is our latest switcher rack, part of our 3rd Fly Pack system. It features the original ATEM 2M/E, a 72x72 Universal VideoHub, a OpenGear frame with 2 embedder, 3 de-embedder, 2 Decimator 9 input multi viewer, and a sync generator. Overall it supports 40 sources in, 24 outputs all 3G-SDI. All audio is Dante based, and has all but eliminated our need for XLR panels-and space for them.

Front View

Back View

Here it is with a bunch of other gear getting real for a medical show next month...

It's not as sexy as a trailer, but when you can put your control room on the upper floors of the building you are broadcasting from... :-)
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Baz

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 pm

I use to have a fleet of OB trucks back in the last century.
My biggest was a double storey 20 camera unit.

But now I am all fly packs. Interestingly enough my 'flypack 3' unit is 20 camera's but in a 8U rack case.

Whats it going to be in 20 years?

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 8:54 am

Hey Greg, what kind of Dante input/output-modules are you using? The ones I seem to find that support a decent number of IO seem crazy expensive.

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Asgeir, see my reply in another thread called Dante Audio.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Nice bus Baz!! Would have made a nice road trip car after you ditched the TV gear :lol:

I agree, the size reduction in gear in the last 15-20 years has been amazing. I would not be doing what I do now back then-for both physical and fiscal sizes...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Baz

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:Nice bus Baz!! Would have made a nice road trip car after you ditched the TV gear :lol:

I agree, the size reduction in gear in the last 15-20 years has been amazing. I would not be doing what I do now back then-for both physical and fiscal sizes...

The greatest advance in technology that makes these mobile vans more useful is MONITOR DEPTH!
In the old days, having to lose almost half a metre to monitor depth was a killer.

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Doug Johnson

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 am

MambaFiber.com wrote:Well we have created OB spaces for others, but so far have preferred to keep everything of ours in flight cases. Makes it easier to mix and match our gear to any rental requests.

This is our latest switcher rack, part of our 3rd Fly Pack system. It features the original ATEM 2M/E, a 72x72 Universal VideoHub, a OpenGear frame with 2 embedder, 3 de-embedder, 2 Decimator 9 input multi viewer, and a sync generator. Overall it supports 40 sources in, 24 outputs all 3G-SDI. All audio is Dante based, and has all but eliminated our need for XLR panels-and space for them.

It's not as sexy as a trailer, but when you can put your control room on the upper floors of the building you are broadcasting from... :-)

Portable cases were actually where I started. I got tired really quickly of hauling them around.

I've left my essential gear in removable cases so it can be removed from the trailer if a facility simply isn't compatible with the trailer. But otherwise, it's great having everything pre-wired and ready to go. Typical setup time for an event is about two hours as opposed to half a day or more. So far my customers and crew love it! It also allows me to do much more complicated things than are practical when gear has to be broken down into separate cases.

I really wish BMD had a 72x72 or larger 6G-SDI routing switcher. I've got two 40x40 units, but more than a quarter of the I/O on each has to be dedicated just to moving signals between the two.

Doug Johnson

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 5:42 am

Baz wrote:
MambaFiber.com wrote:Nice bus Baz!! Would have made a nice road trip car after you ditched the TV gear :lol:

The greatest advance in technology that makes these mobile vans more useful is MONITOR DEPTH!
In the old days, having to lose almost half a metre to monitor depth was a killer.

...not to mention the reduction in weight and power consumption...

Return to Live Production