Connecting CanonGL2

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jesse Domer

Connecting CanonGL2

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 am

I am returning to this world of broadcast after a decade, I am a Tech Teacher at a High School with a Video Class. We are working on rebuilding the program here. We just purchased an Atem switcher (Atem Television Studio HD) and so far excited to see what we might be able to do, but still getting there. We have one newer Canon XA25 that connects right up great to the switcher.

But we have a couple Canon GL2 (older cameras) with the MA-300 adapter and we were wanting to use those as our studio cameras considering we do not use them anymore for class assignments (being dv tape). But I can not seem to find the signal on the Atem from the GL2. I have gone out the Svideo, Av, and BNC ports. wondering if there is something I am missing here and asking if there is any experience? Yes, I realize newer cameras will fix our problem - trying to do something on a budget - was hopeing it would work.

Thoughts or ideas?
Jesse Domer - Shop Teacher (& video)

Denny Smith

Re: Connecting CanonGL2

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm

The GL2is an analog video out only camera, it does not output SDI, video outputs inc,and a FireWire output to connect the camera to a computer. The ATEM does not have analog inputs, just HDMI and SDI.

You are going jog to need a converter like the BM Mini Analog to SDI converter to get a SD, SDI output to feed to the ATEM. Also, you will not be able to mix a HD camera with the older SD GL2 cameras, unless the HD camera can down convert its signal to SD But if you are going to use the GL2s only, then no problem, just set the ATEM to SD (525i59.94 NTSC 4:3) and you should get a signal. I did this with GL2 cameras and a TriCaster Broadcaster which had SD SDI inputs, so it should work with the ATEM HD also.

You want to use SDI as it will allow for longer cable runs, and better reliability.

Good luck
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 pm

You might want to look at the new Atomos converter line.. I use these converters for 5 years now (From there original taiwan brand before it became Atomos..
http://downloads.atomos.com/converters/ATOMCCNAS1.pdf

This converter will input Analog video. And have an internal scaler converter to output HD in every broadcast spec you want.

Ideal to match your HD workflow. ;)

And the best part.. These converters don't get HOT! 8-)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jesse Domer

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Thank you for the information, I appreciate the help. Printing this and starting some more research on those items. Thank you

Return to Live Production