ATEM TV Studio not being recognised

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mileslibke

ATEM TV Studio not being recognised

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 11:22 am

Hello there! First post here for a bit of trouble shooting help! Been using a TV Studio for the past few years with very few problems, and have loved it! However, recently we have been encountering some issues with our switcher.

But first, some hardware:
BM TV Studio, purchased 2013. Connected Via Ethernet
2013 iMac, Sierra (also running a wifi network)

For the past few years, we have run the Mac with a wifi network, and also the ATEM switcher with no issues, but recently the switcher will no longer connect unless the wifi is switched off.
In short, we've had some wider DHCP issues in my church's network, and have had to recently switch to a static network, so our wireless connection is now a static IP connection.

Does anyone know if this could cause an issue with the switcher connecting to the Mac? Furthermore, would anyone know how to fix this issue?

Would appreciate any thoughts any of you video gurus have!!
Thanks so much!
Miles

Mileslibke

Re: ATEM TV Studio not being recognised

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 10:17 am

Bump!! :)

Asgeir Hustad

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 pm

This is a network configuration issue - you need to post more details to get actual help. Network addresses, subnet masks, gateway - for both LAN and WiFi-adapters.

Generally, if the same IPs are present both in your local subnet and your WiFi/DHCP, you need a more specific subnet mask in your LAN adapter to make the packets get sent there. A gateway should only be defined on one adapter, and any packets to addresses that don't match your subnets will be sent there.

Mileslibke

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks for letting me know - here are the details!

WIFI:
IP: 192.168.49.111
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway:192.168.49.1
DHCP Enabled

MAC ETHERNET:
IP: 192.168.49.200
Gateway: 192.168.49.1
Static Enabled

ATEM ETHERNET:
IP: 192.168.49.50
Gateway: 192.168.49.1
Static.

So from my understanding of what you have just said I should remove the gateway settings for the Mac ethernet, as we have two adapters sending packets...?

Thanks so much! Let me know if there's anything that I need to do!

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Your problem here is that you have both your ethernet adapter and your Wi-Fi on the same subnet with the same subnet-mask. This means that the BMD-software won't know on which adapter to send it's messages, and generally leads to a huge mess.

The best solution would be to change your ATEM and Ethernet-adapter to a different subnet -
something like 192.168.50.x. Your computer will still access the rest of your through your wi-fi adapter, as that is where the gateway is (A gateway simply means "ask here for any IP not in local subnets").

Another, more advanced option is to set a more specific subnet-mask on the ethernet adapter, for example 255.255.255.240, with an IP in the range of x.x.x.49-.62 on the Mac. This last config means that for any address between .49-.62, your computer will look at the LAN adapter, not the WiFi-Adapter.

Oh, and no gateway on the LAN-adapter, in either config. Unless of course you DO want to use the LAN-adapter for internet-access.

Return to Live Production