Blackmagic Devices Outputting with HDMI?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

LeighO

Blackmagic Devices Outputting with HDMI?

PostMon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 pm

We have a few Blackmagic devices but only really encountered this issue when using a SDI to HDMI converter with the Cinema Camera, then got to testing on other devices.

With all the interest in DSLRs over the past few years, we've picked up a few cheaper small monitors that display HD over HDMI, like the VG005 (http://www.gdbint.com.au/Product.aspx?pID=1830)
While they are generally pretty crappy monitors, they do get the job done.

Now we've encountered issues with the HDMI outputs on Blackmagic devices that none of them will display on these monitors at 1080P. The monitors are capable and have been tested at 1080/50p (psf and p) so they are not the problem. Speaking with the distributor for this product, he suggested that it is an issue with HDCP compliance. This is not something I know a huge amount about, but I didn't think it should be an issue coming from cameras or recording equipment into a monitor. But as it appears, Blackmagic is the only company that triggers this block (aside from other SDI to HDMI converters). Maybe it is something else, but searching the forums it sure seems like it.

SO: Why is this an issue? SDI doesn't do HDCP, so an SDI to HDMI converter should be fine, right? What is stopping the 1080p signal coming through?

I want to use an HDMI monitor with BMCC, but the straight converter seems to not be the way forward.
Last edited by LeighO on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chad

Re: Blackmagic Devices Outputting around HDCP?

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm

It's most likely not an HDCP problem. 1080p (aka 3G-SDI) comes in two flavors; Level A, and Level B. Most blackmagic products only supports Level B. If your monitors only support Level A then they won't be able to decode the signal.

LeighO

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Sounds like there is more going on here. What is Level A compared to Level B? Is it just a different type of SMPTE signal?

Chad

PostTue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Both are SMPTE 424M. Level A is full 1080p60 in one single stream, while level B is a dual stream variation that transmits 2 1080i60 signals over the same cable which are then combined together at the receiving end.

This is both for compatibility with older 3G-SDI signals (early devices used 2 separate cables to carry the 1080p signals) as well as 3D stereoscopic signals (left/right eye). If you google SMPTE 424M you can read more about it.

LeighO

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 1:03 am

How might I go about learning what device outputs Level A or Level B? I would need to test another Level B video device then, because I only plugged in an XBOX to make sure it receives 1080p, and I would expect it would do A.

If I am only shooting at 25fps the output signal should only be HD-SDI. I am pretty sure the monitor won't receive 3G-SDI.

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic Devices Outputting with HDMI?

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 2:15 am

The Mini Converter SDI-HDMI does not support 1080p at this current moment of time as listed on our product tech specs.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... hspecs-top
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

LeighO

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 4:18 am

Is there anywhere that I can find the output signal specs of HDMI from blackmagic devices? The Hyperdeck also works as a signal converter, yet it too does not display anything on the monitor. All of this is operating at HD/SDI so I don't see what is preventing the signal from getting to the monitor (unless it is HDCP compliance issue)

Brian Hancock

PostWed Apr 03, 2013 1:46 pm

if your using xbox as source then yes its an hdcp issue ...

if that is what you need then use analog component to sdi converter works perfect

Return to Live Production