Crop PGM output

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Marcus Strandepil

Crop PGM output

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 6:46 am

I have a client who wants me to output a 1080p signal from my TVS HD PRO to three large Barco projectors. I would mix cameras and graphics but here is the challenge: She wants only the lower third of the image to be displayed, the two higher thirds should be cropped or black. This would give an image of around 640x1080, super wide image.

Is there hardware out there which could do this? Or do I need to go via a software and include my PGM as a camera source?

Or can I apply a DSK with two thirds of a black image? Or can a DSK still image be cropped?

Or is there a chance that the image could be cropped in the projectors? I will continue my investigation once I know the models.

To make matters worse the center image would show the lower third of the screen but the left and right projectors should show to top third.

Any ideas if best/most flexible approach?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Television Studio Pro HD, Hyperdeck Mini. Multiview 16, 2 x Dell 32" screens + SmartView 16" HD monitor. Converters.
PCs and MacBook Pros
Behringer X32 Producer for live sound processing and multitrack recording.
850 VA UPS
16 HU flypack.

Howard Roll

Re: Crop PGM output

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 am

If you crop or matte the image how will the left and right display anything other than black?

Barcos have image blanking which is what you want to use if you're trying to mask the image in the projector.

Marcus Strandepil

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:42 am

Howard Roll wrote:If you crop or matte the image how will the left and right display anything other than black?

Barcos have image blanking which is what you want to use if you're trying to mask the image in the projector.

My idea was to produce output in the upper third and physically tilt the center projector up. That together with a blanking/crop in the projector or in my switcher would solve my problem, right?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Television Studio Pro HD, Hyperdeck Mini. Multiview 16, 2 x Dell 32" screens + SmartView 16" HD monitor. Converters.
PCs and MacBook Pros
Behringer X32 Producer for live sound processing and multitrack recording.
850 VA UPS
16 HU flypack.

Andy Coulthurst

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 11:54 am

Or a place something in front of the projector to crop it :mrgreen:

Return to Live Production