NDI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Phil Hadfield

NDI

PostSat Oct 21, 2017 9:22 pm

NDI is looking like it’s becoming a standard in the gaming (esport) world and vision mixing software world. Vmix, livestream etc

When are BMD going to support this input via the network port?

Merging the Sdi and NDI would help keep the hardware mixer valid in a software world

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingsley Foreman

Re: NDI

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 8:35 am

Id love to see NDI,

Saying this I doubt it is as trivial as adding it to the network port, my guess is it would require a hardware re-architecture.

I would love to see it though, saying that I would also love to be easily able make animated supersource and transitions (easily)

GallerySienna

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 1:00 pm

There is already great support for NDI via BlackMagic Design interfaces on macOS:

SDI/HDMI to NDI : Sienna NDI Source
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ndi-source/id1097524095?ls=1&mt=12

NDI to SDI/HDMI : Sienna NDI Outlet
http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndi-outlet.html

MultiChannel SDI to NDI : Sienna NDI Source Multi
http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndi-source-multi.html

There are demo versions of Source and Outlet, so anyone who wants to experiment with NDI can do so without laying out a penny.

Be sure to also pick up the Free Sienna NDI Tools for Mac - monitor, signal generator, desktop sender
http://www.sienna-tv.com/ndi/

There are similar tools for windows from NewTek.

Its unlikely that NDI will be added *directly* to devices like ATEM since they don't have the required built in processing, however there are FPGA implementations of NDI out there and this is something BMD could consider for the future if they are so inclined. So far we have seen BMD support for Tico, but NDI is a much larger and more mature landscape and its something BMD could easily benefit from adopting.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Indeed an implementation into the current Atem structure won't happen.. The structure and processing power is just not there..

Also the question is if BMD ever will adopt NDI. NDI is growing by the minute.. But BMD working with Xilinx FPGA's took the TICO route as TICO Was an available IP for FPGA setups..

The implementation of NDI on hardware is a lot harder due to the compression and realtime conversion of this.
Take a look at Bird Dog.. They needed more then 2 years to get the firmware up and running to support NDI from scratch..

I guess in 1 year we will see some other hardware box doing NDI / SDI conversion.. Maybe multiple channels.. But for now you are very bound to do a hard and software solution. Or stick to a pro setup without NDI.. or Go all out on software.. Buy Vmix and use NDI..

If you want NDI on your "hardware" mixer you might want to buy a Newtek and sell your Atem. ;) I'll rather trust hardware mixers and going the BMD route :D
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Post redacted as no longer pertaing to my opinions...

A.
Last edited by Andrew Martin on Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrey Okunev

PostMon Sep 03, 2018 4:27 pm

We've just published two free apps that convert from SDI to NDI and vice versa – with native support for Blackmagic I/O. Let me know what you think!

lukdim

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 12:04 pm

Andrey Okunev wrote:We've just published two free apps[/url] that convert from SDI to NDI and vice versa – with native support for Blackmagic I/O. Let me know what you think!

I need to convert NDI to SDI. Can I use the I need to convert board Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor with your software converter?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 5:22 am

This should be possible with a DeckLink Mini Monitor. I've never used the MediaLooks apps specifically, but OBS Studio is capable of reading an NDI input and outputting to a DeckLink card. And CasparCG can do this as well.

Note that there are also several dedicated hardware NDI to SDI converters that now exist including:
  • NewTek Spark Plus IO SDI
  • Magewell Pro Convert NDI to SDI
  • BirdDog Studio NDI

Andre Augustin

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 4:59 am

So I been messing around with adding NDI into my work flow during these days of WFH. I recently picked up a couple BirdDog Mini's and Studio as well as a couple Magewell Pro Convert NDI to HDMI to work with my ATEM Constellation. I will say that these devices have helped me in SUCH a great way. I am now able to convert vMix calls from NDI into my ATEM. Game feeds from observers are sent to me via SRT that the Magewell Pro Convert's output as HDMI which I then convert to SDI to be inputs on the ATEM. With the help of CasparCG, Companion and JustMacros. I can make a show I trust and believe in. While YES I agree that Black Magic Design should some how get on board the NDI train. I feel that other companies has made it easier for us to reach that goal of adding NDI to our ATEM's.
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

Andre Augustin

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 2:55 am

So tonight, like I do every Saturday night. I produced a show for MDA_LetsPlay over on twitch. Using my ATEM Constellation along with some BirdDog NDI converters and the Magewell Pro Convert's. I was ready to handle 2 host via vMix Call and NDI to the bird dogs and game feeds via SRT and captured with the Magewell Pro Convert. One of the host dropped out so we were down to 1 host. No problem, till the bird dog started to change the size of the video play out. Seeing that this was happening decided to switch up to the Magewell Pro Convert and I was able to LOCK the resolution and framerate. No I know in previous post I said that the Bird Dog converters were great, but these past couple of weeks have shown they are pretty problematic. If you are looking to add NDI to your setups, give the Magewell Pro Convert a look. Strongly recommended after today. I attached pics to show what kind of issues I was having with it.

NDI - BIFUTEKI-STREAM1 (OBS-MDA) (1080_60p) 10_3_2020 5_04_53 PM.png
NDI - BIFUTEKI-STREAM1 (OBS-MDA) (1080_60p) 10_3_2020 5_04_53 PM.png (127.9 KiB) Viewed 5277 times

NDI - BIFUTEKI-STREAM1 (OBS-MDA) (1080_60p) 10_3_2020 5_04_53 PM.png
NDI - BIFUTEKI-STREAM1 (OBS-MDA) (1080_60p) 10_3_2020 5_04_53 PM.png (127.9 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Attachments
NDI - BIFUTEKI-STREAM1 (OBS-MDA) (1080_60p) 10_3_2020 6_13_09 PM.png
NDI - BIFUTEKI-STREAM1 (OBS-MDA) (1080_60p) 10_3_2020 6_13_09 PM.png (813.8 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
Andre Augustin
Bifuteki

Return to Live Production