[SOLVED] BM SDI to HDMI Converter to Intensity Shuttle Issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Graham Gibson

[SOLVED] BM SDI to HDMI Converter to Intensity Shuttle Issue

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 pm

So a little back story:

I just started working for a company that hosts an academic seminar once a month. They needed to upgrade their video/streaming system, so we went ahead and bought a handful of new Blackmagic devices and a couple cameras. We're currently trying to run two Canon XH A1's to our Macbook Pro via the following paths:

Camera 1:
Camera -> Component Out -> Intensity Shuttle -> USB 3.0 port on Macbook Pro

Camera 2:
Camera -> SDI Out -> SDI to HDMI MicroConverter -> HDMI Out -> Intensity Shuttle -> USB 3.0 port on Macbook Pro

The reason for Camera 2's setup is because we need to run one of the cameras much farther away from the Macbook Pro itself and decided a long HDMI cable would be the best/cheapest option for distance; however, this is the camera/setup we're having issues with.

We're using Wirecast for streaming, and the feed for Camera 2 refuses to show up. I've checked the Desktop Video Setup application and confirmed that it's set on the correct input (HDMI). I've also successfully checked to make sure that the Shuttle being used with the HDMI-IN works properly (by trying the same shuttle with component cables instead).

I had a feeling the issue may stem from having the SDI to HDMI converter plugged into the Intensity Shuttle, but I wasn't sure exactly why that would be.

We need it up and running in about a week, so any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

- Graham
Last edited by Graham Gibson on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Gibson

Re: BM SDI to HDMI Converter into Intensity Shuttle Issue

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 pm

Welp, found the problem.

After a little more research, it turns out the Canon XH A1 has an SDI Out port on the side that isn't actually active. It's just there for looks apparently. So there's that.

- Graham

Xtreemtec

Re: [SOLVED] BM SDI to HDMI Converter to Intensity Shuttle I

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 am

A Canon XH-A1 does not have SDI. That is a composite video output. Same connector different signal. ;)

There is a Canon XH-G1 which does have SDI output. The bodies are much alike, but the price of the camera was twice as much of the XH-A1 ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

Re: [SOLVED] BM SDI to HDMI Converter to Intensity Shuttle I

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 10:00 am

You can get a nice HD picture out of that camera.. But you will need the original Component cable. (Red Green Blue)
And a Analog to SDI converter from BMD.. When the camera is configured for 1080 HD output it will send 1080i50 / 60 out on the component output. ;)

Those cameras, while they are rather old now are still very crisp image and very well useable in multicam when used with the above trick :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production