Third party / bigger power supply for BM equipment ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Thomas Seewald

Third party / bigger power supply for BM equipment ?

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Hello, currently I build a DIY flight rack for my mobile studio. Inside, there is a TVS, a Hyperdeck Studio, a SmatviewHD and a Smartscope Duo. All of them have their own power supply. Is it possible to use one bigger (third party) power supply instead to save place inside the rack ? Does someone habe experiences with alternative power supply ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Andrew Martin

Re: Third party / bigger power supply for BM equipment ?

PostSat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 pm

Yes, you should be able to do this.
As long as all the devices share the same power voltage.

Look at all the pwr brick labels to ensure they do, then
Add the watts output of all the bricks together, and add another 20%

Divide the result by the bricks voltage (12v I'd think ) this will give you an idea for the amperage needed for the 'combined' supply.

Don't scrimp on the power supply ensure its a good quality unit, you don't want power spikes or outages on all ur gear, as if it goes down everything it powers goes dark. look for something intended for the scientific industry.

Also look into a fused distribution board so each device has its own fuse protection.
Something from west mountain or mfj.
http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigrunner.php
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Categorie ... b=1&ref=10

A.

MambaFiber.com

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 5:01 am

Hi Thomas,

You can absolutely use a common power supply for multiple units, even if they are from different manufacturers. You just need to make sure the PS puts out the proper voltage for the devices, and that the total current draw of all units combined do not exceed the maximum power available from the supply. Having a supply rated for too much CURRENT (amps) is NOT a problem, the devices will only draw as much as they require, any extra capacity is simply overhead reserve and a good thing. The VOLTAGE (volts DC) needs to be an exact match.

We use several models from MeanWell, specifically the RS75-12 (12V @ 6A) and the LRS-150-12 (12V @ 12.5A).
Image We even use the model RD-125A (12V @ 7.7A and 5V @ 7.7A) to power BMD gear from the 12V side, and our wifi router and some other converters from the 5V side. Look at the BMD power supplies for their current output. The small BMD ps for the mini converters are 1A, the larger ones used for the SmartView monitors are 2 or 2.5A. Just add these values together and make sure your new supply is equal to or greater than the sum.

The supplies I listed have terminal screws for connection, you will need a short jumper with the BMD plug on the end for your device. I have just cut the wall plug off of many of my BMD supplies for this purpose. Not only will you save space in the rack, you will need far fewer outlets to plug everything in. Make sure these are connected to the right polarity (+ or -) and verify with a meter before plugging them into your devices. Reverse polarity can damage a lot of gear permanently.

Also, please make sure you properly insulate ALL of the connections after you are done wiring. You don't want the line voltage to ever come in contact with humans, it could be very dangerous. If you aren't handy with electronics, I would not advise to take this route. Remember-safety first!!
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

dpictMEDIA

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 3:30 pm

I also use the units Greg mentioned - get them from mouser electronics: MFG Part No:LRS-100-12 - they also have a small pot that you can jack up the voltage to 13.8 or 14 if you have a long run of thin wire and need 12vdc at the connector. Mouser also has the proper ends available and I've used nice thin mic cable to power BM stuff from 100' away. I don't have the part number of the ends - pretty easy to search out though. - west mountain radio = nice find thanks
Aric Mackey

Thomas Seewald

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 pm

The LRS models seems to be good. How do you protect against touching the connectors ?

dpictMEDIA

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 12:13 am

I leave mine open to weed out stupid crew members. A flash and the smell of burnt hair and I know not to hire that guy again. Kind of a "Darwin" test to weed out low performers.
Aric Mackey

David Peddicord

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 2:14 am

dpictMEDIA wrote:I leave mine open to weed out stupid crew members. A flash and the smell of burnt hair and I know not to hire that guy again. Kind of a "Darwin" test to weed out low performers.

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MambaFiber.com

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 2:58 am

dpictMEDIA wrote:I leave mine open to weed out stupid crew members. A flash and the smell of burnt hair and I know not to hire that guy again. Kind of a "Darwin" test to weed out low performers.

NICE!! :lol:

Seriously, electrical tape or a insulated cover of some sort. Or place the whole assembly inside of an enclosure/project box/case. If it's mounted inside your rack case away from where hands would ever go I think a few wraps of e-tape should be sufficient.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 12:30 pm

I think, I'll use a plastics box....

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Those meanwell come with a translucent plastic strip that clicks over the top of those contacts to avoid touching. If you want to build it away keep in Mind it needs cooling!!
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jacob Abramson

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 pm

I also use the Meanwell power supplies and then wired to a distribution strip and then out to the devices.

Just verify that you have the positive on the correct cable connector (usually tip, but always). The manufactures don't use a standard for label coding on low voltage power supplies.
Equipment In Use:
ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
ATEM Production Studio 4K
ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel
HyperDeck Studio Pro 4k
HyperDeck Studio
Teranex 2d
Teranex Express
MultiView 16
DeckLink Quad
Pocket Cinema Camera
Video Assist 4k

timgregory

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Does anyone here know the power draw on the old style Atem 1ME and Broadcast Panel?

It seems like the newer Broadcast Panels have the power supply built in and I can't find the details on the 1ME on the website.

Thanks,

Tim

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Check the original power supply.. I think they were 12V 5A by head.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production