DVI to HD-SDI: DVI-D vs DVI-I

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jra166

DVI to HD-SDI: DVI-D vs DVI-I

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 12:00 am

Hello all,

We are currently use the Analogue Way Pulse300 Video Switcher/Scaler in our production set-up. We are looking to record to the Panasonic AG-HMR10 SD-Card recorder which has only an HD/SDI Input.

The output on the Pulse300 is DVI-I, but the DVI/SDI Converter specifically says DVI-D input. Is this an issue? Does the DVI/SDI converter accept a DVI-I cable. It appears from pictures that the input allows for the extra pins that exist on the DVI-I cable.

I'm guessing it only uses the digital signal and simply throws away the analog being sent on the extra 4 pins.

Thank you.

Jason
Last edited by jra166 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Haigh

Re: DVI to HD-SDI: DVI-D vs DVI-I

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 12:14 am

It will work just fine. I use a Pulse sometimes as well and the Pulse outputs digital and analog simultaneously, you can use a splitter cable if you need both, and you can plug a DVI-D cable into a DVI-I female connector just fine. You are correct about the four extra pins they have the analog signal and a DVI-D female will not have those sockets as it is a digital only connector. If the DVI to SDI has a DVI-D connector(no pins around the flat blade contact) it will still work you just need to make sore you have a DVI-D cable, it will plug into the DVI-I output just fine.
Freelance A/V Engineer
Always Available for Hire

jra166

Re: DVI to HD-SDI: DVI-D vs DVI-I

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 12:21 am

Thank you, Tim. Nice to know we would have no problem splitting the signal and using both.

Return to Live Production