SmartScope Duo 4K 2 - no 12G - Suggestions for Use in 4k50

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Lennart Deuss

SmartScope Duo 4K 2 - no 12G - Suggestions for Use in 4k50

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey, hoping for some help here. It's my first time posting, have only been a "silent reader" before.

So I'm currently working on a 4k/50p-capable Configuration for the new Multicam System for my University(HAW Hamburg). If somebody's interested I can list the full list of the system but for now I think the relevant facts for my issue are:

4k50 only in all-12G environment
(Almost) every BMD Product has a 12G capable Version
except the SmartScope Duo 4K 2

For me it looks like I could just downconvert before going into the Smartscope. While making the otherwise incredibly cheap product more expensive my main concern with this is the conversion before going into the Tool thats supposed to analyze my original image.
Maybe my thinking is flaud and I dont need to worry, or somebody has advice for another workaround of this issue. I'm also open to suggestions of other Products - just know that a "real" WFM like a Tectronix does definetely not fit our budget(sadly).

Glad about any kind of help!
- cheers from Hamburg, Lennart

Xtreemtec

Re: SmartScope Duo 4K 2 - no 12G - Suggestions for Use in 4k

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:16 pm

A real 12G waveform monitor would offcourse be the best. Phabrix QX with the right license can do a lot. We just got this one for testing 12G hardware.

On a budget you could do a downconversion.. But i'm thinking what the signal does if it gets converted..

I do have the same situation in my 12G obv.. But never tested it what happens with the signal.. I could test and try it with the Phabrix beside it to see how much the signal is changed..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Lennart Deuss

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:38 pm

Daniel, thanks for your input, its much appreciated.

The Phabrix looks like a great product but its out of our price range as well. I'll keep it in mind for possible future upgrades though. :)
For the moment we really need to go for a low-budget solution and if you have been producing the same way and never had noticeable problems in your obv that gives me some confidence to give the conversion-workflow a try. Are you using teranex AV for this?

I would very much be interested in your findings when you decide to test the BMD scopes and Phabrix side by side!

thanks!

Lennart

Zack Pittman

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 5:45 am

I would LOVE to see BM come out a 12G SmartScope!!! Are you listening BM! The live industry can't use 6G like the post industry... we dont shoot in 24 or 30.... we need the 60!!!!

Ok thanks :D

Lennart Deuss

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 3:39 pm

hah, maybe they'll have something for us by X-Mas! :mrgreen:

Zach Swena

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 1:56 am

I like using the BON BEM-182 for up to 3G SDI signals. If you have the budget they do have the OBM-U170 which supports 12G SDI. I have been thinking over this question also. I hope BMD will update their product lines to have a full complement of 12G-SDI equipment. Their multiview products also are limited to 6G...

For now I think I would go with something like the Atomos SUMO19M. It is a decent 12G monitor with waveform. I believe it also has a vector scope option as well like the ninja and samurai did, but I haven't found proof of that part yet...

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 4:58 pm

We have the Sumo 19 with the new software update for 4 times HD ISO recording (which is only available on the non M version):D ..

It has Waveform, Vectorscope, RGB Parade. But keep in mind that it is more a clue of what is happening instead of real measurement.. The Vectorscope doesn't even have numbers.. Only 6 points and the signal..

If i compare that to the measurements we do with the Phabrix QX 12G is a whole different ballgame.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production