SDI camera control - AWB

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Zack Pittman

SDI camera control - AWB

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 7:01 am

Today I finally got to test out a UMP in the live world, and I really think it has a lot of potential, but one thing we noticed, was no ability to AWB from the camera control. When you do it on the camera menu itself, it reverts to what the SDI return is sending, so I can't even have camera opps start the white balancing process, because it just jumps back within a couple seconds... Not every engineer in the world can color cameras from scratch with no White Balence.

After checking the development manuals for all the cameras, in the SDI control protocol area, it lists AWB as something planned for, but VOID is written in and no data is available for that control... Am I missing something? Why is this not implemented yet?

There is a line in the code for it.... the camera can do it.... Lets let people like Skaarhoj make us a blue smurf box that can nicely control this feature.... oh AND.... Auto Black Balance... Please BM... let us use this camera just like every other live broadcast camera on the market. Thanks!

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: SDI camera control - AWB

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello Zack. The ATEM Camera control functions are a little behind of the URSA Mini Pro cameras. They will catch up in a future firmware update. We do not have a date for this yet.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Zack Pittman

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Zack. The ATEM Camera control functions are a little behind of the URSA Mini Pro cameras. They will catch up in a future firmware update. We do not have a date for this yet.

Regards, Gary

That’s good to know. Can we recommend that there also be a feauture to store and recall different WB profiles?

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Zack, once the sensor is calibrated for the shooting situation, it is not necessary to do repeated black balance, as it was in the 3-CCD ENG cameras. There was quite a discussion in this about six months ago.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production