Audio In problems - ATEM TV Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jesse Domer

Audio In problems - ATEM TV Studio HD

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 pm

I am a Tech Ed High School Teacher, just getting back into the Video Class world. I had a previous question answered on this forum about cameras working with our new switcher (thank you).

This question is about Audio Inputs to the Switcher. (ATEM TV Studio HD). I do finally have audio coming in, but I am having to run my microphones through the camera inputs which then brings my audio into the ATEM. I would prefer to either bring it direct to the ATEM switcher back ports or eventually get an audio mixer (when funds free up).

BUT - the reason I am going through the cameras is I can not seem to get the XLR inputs on the back of the switcher to show any audio coming in. I have tried microphones, I have tried direct input from my aux out on my phone. No audio levels show from those back XLR ports. I am sure I am missing something, just do not know what.

Thoughts?
Jesse Domer
WHS Tech Ed Teacher

MambaFiber.com

Re: Audio In problems - ATEM TV Studio HD

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 5:41 pm

The ATEM XLR inputs require a line level signal, +4dbm in tech speak. A microphone output is typically much lower, around -50dbm. That's the equivalent of pulling your fader down 54db from its normal level, which is pretty close to all the way down, or no signal at all. If you didn't have your phone volume turned all the way up, you likely didn't have enough level for the ATEM to show on its meters either.

So if you want to use your ATEM inputs with a microphone, you must boost it's level up about 50db. You can use a mic preamp for a single mic, or better yet use an audio console.

Behringer makes a pretty cheap mic pre, the MIC100 at about $40. ART and Rolls both make similar units. You can get much better quality pre's, but they also have a much higher $$. My fav portable unit is the Sound Devices MP-1, about $450.

An audio board is a much better option, so much more capability. Something like a Behringer or Mackie board might be a good place to start, and won't break the bank. $100-300 new, and there are always used ones for next to nothing around. Make sure you get a board with real line level outputs. 1/4" TRS or XLR are usually +4db, RCA outputs are -10db and are still a bit too low level for the ATEM. If the outputs are 1/4" you will need adapter cables to get to XLR for the ATEM.

Audio boards usually have both mic level and line level inputs. The line level inputs are good for iPod music, or for video player sound. All inputs mix together and come out of the main buss. Plug this into your ATEM and enjoy a highly upgraded audio experience over what you can do with the ATEM alone.

Final note, the ATEM XLR inputs have their own fader in the ATEM software. Make sure this input is turned on, and the fader is it the normal position most of the way up. You should see any incoming audio in the meter next to the fader, and also on the ATEM output if setup properly.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Jesse Domer

Re: Audio In problems - ATEM TV Studio HD

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm

THANK YOU MAMBA for your time explaining this - I really appreciate the help AND DIRECTION in getting this going in my studio/classroom for the kids. This helps alot.

Jesse Domer

Return to Live Production