Blackmagic switcher suggestion

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ignacio Mijares

Blackmagic switcher suggestion

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello,

First of i'll introduce my self, im Ignacio from Mexico. I have a small yet steadily growing business mainly focused on providing A/V services for small - medium conferences.

As of today I mostly offer Audio, video (proyectors, monitors) and lighting. I also offer CCTV but it's outsourced, not done directly by me.

I'm looking for a video switcher / distributor from Blackmagic, since i've seen bigger companies use this brand, and i've read good stuff.

This will probably be a very dumb question, but better safe than sorry: Can I use the ATEM Television Studio HD as a switcher and distributor? I know it works as a switcher, but can I also use it as distributor when only 1 video source is needed and the video shall be sent to more than 1 monitor? Do I need to buy ie: Mini Converter SDI Distribution 4K when I only need to distribute?

Another case: Can I have 1 input sent to two monitors, and then have a 2nd input sent to another monitor?

I know this might be a waste of time question, but for those who can bare with me, i'll appreciate your honest suggestions! I'm just trying to make the best decision and prevent a bad investment.

Cheers!

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Blackmagic switcher suggestion

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello Ignacio. The ATEM Television Studio HD has 5 Program (all same) SDI outputs that you can feed anywhere. There is also a separate Auxiliary SDI output that you can have a different source feeding someplace else. You should be able to do what you asked. Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi Ignacio!

I might suggest, as your budget allows, to consider a VideoHub in your plan. The videoHubs are capable of routing any of its inputs to any or all of its outputs. When combined with an ATEM switcher this becomes very powerful. You can send a single source, or the switcher output anywhere you need. Very flexible as needs change.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Ignacio Mijares

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Ignacio. The ATEM Television Studio HD has 5 Program (all same) SDI outputs that you can feed anywhere. There is also a separate Auxiliary SDI output that you can have a different source feeding someplace else. You should be able to do what you asked. Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary

Hello Gary, thanks for the quick reply and making it clear. I will be considering the ATEM switcher in the very near future!

Ignacio Mijares

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 9:31 pm

MambaFiber.com wrote:Hi Ignacio!

I might suggest, as your budget allows, to consider a VideoHub in your plan. The videoHubs are capable of routing any of its inputs to any or all of its outputs. When combined with an ATEM switcher this becomes very powerful. You can send a single source, or the switcher output anywhere you need. Very flexible as needs change.

Hello MambaFiber, thanks for the quick response. Correct me if im wrong, getting the video hub would be a 2nd stage complement to the switcher, given the Video Hub cannot function as a switcher, correct?

What I think is, my current needs can be satisfied with the ATEM switcher given it can perform as a switcher and a distributor (in case i need more reach, i can get a SDI Distributor), and/if in the future my business needs grow and wan't to perform a more complex video feed / distribution, then the Video Hub will be a nice complement, correct?

Cheers!

MambaFiber.com

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 3:34 am

If your current needs call for transitions that only the switcher can supply, then by all means that needs to be your first move. Be aware though that the switcher (ATEM TVS HD) will only generate 2 signals-the PGM output with all effects/transitions (5 outputs), and the aux output which can select a single source separately from what is on PGM (cuts only, 1 output). Hopefully this meets your immediate needs of distribution. Adding a SDI-Distribution unit can give you more outputs of either feed.

Down the road as things grow I would still consider adding the VideoHub. All of our systems are set up this way, we find this to be extremely flexible and accommodating of every event we have had to date.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production