Universal Update Application

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Phil Hadfield

Universal Update Application

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 am

Can we have a Utility that can scan a network and to see if any devices are lower Firmware. If so download the FW from BMD and install it.

Most devices now have Network update.

Just make everything alot smoother on Live Production warehouses.

Also can you add the FW version on you ATEM panels as when you connect an older Atem FW version to a Panel it says missmatch. You dont have to update both FWs.

Xtreemtec

Re: Universal Update Application

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Wow you want to bet on auto update features.. :? What if an update gets corrupted or a function get broken that you need in your chain of devices..

Also most units needs a full power off reboot after a FW upgrade. What if this device is in your End setup of your mix setup.

Getting a new FW update while broadcasting the 6 o clock news and reboots.. :lol: :lol:

As a broadcast engineer i would not put any machine on auto fw update. Always do it by hand and when we don't need the gear for a big event or so. Because you nevver know what can happen. ;)

The thing that software can not communicate with a different FW version is indeed a pain in the A..
We have 4 Atems and a whole lot of different laptops and computers running the Atem SW. And every time we need to check if the right software is installed. Also the LACK of being able to see what FW version is in the mixer makes this a huge problem. Boot up the Atem sw to find out there is different FW installed on the mixer.. Okee but What version?? Every time!! Please add this to the Popup like Installed FW is 7.0.1 and current Soft is 7.1.2 Doesn't look that difficult right..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Phil Hadfield

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi,

I just want a list of what needs to be updated and to do it all in one hit. Then I can test everything.

CRC checking can make sure all the downloads are correct.

Its annoying to have to download every different tool to update all the seperate piece of kit.

Just knowing you are Current means when you have a bug you know its a new one and you have the latest features.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 16.48.18.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 16.48.18.png (55.3 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

David Peddicord

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Xtreemtec wrote: What if an update gets corrupted or a function get broken that you need in your chain of devices..

Reminds me of the destruction of Java updates.

Andrew Martin

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 am

I like the idea of an app that tracks and lists whats installed on each device by natively using its network connection, but please give me the choice when to run, or when to ignore the update. Auto updates are a bad idea for each and every reason posted by Daniel. We dpnt run auto anything even the PCs we own have it disabled because an unscheduled update in the middle of a paid job is unthinkable.

A.

Phil Hadfield

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 11:40 am

I did not want a Full Auto Installer but to have an option to install all. If you have alot of kit then you will test with one lot and then can update the rest when Quailty Assured.

I want a system that can download all the latest versions and report what needs to be updated.

I get all the reasons why you dont want a Full auto system.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 pm

I would agree on you to have a piece of software that scans the network for devices and tells what firmware they are currently on and what firmware is available. If you could use an update. And very important, to see the firmware notes. So you can determine if this update does anything to the device.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Phil Hadfield wrote:I did not want a Full Auto Installer but to have an option to install all.......
I want a system that can download all the latest versions and report what needs to be updated..

Phil as we don't have a 'like' button as on social media sites I'll simply quote and say yes I agree a scanning / reporting app would be a good idea. ✔

MambaFiber.com

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:12 pm

i'd go for that too, as long long as I have say so on an actual update taking place. I don't always run the latest versions...usually intentionally one or two versions behind...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production