Compressed format options for Media Express capture?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JayWindland

Compressed format options for Media Express capture?

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm considering picking up an UltraStudio Mini Recorder to capture an HDMI feed from a PowerPoint presentation to a MacBook Pro for a corporate event. The catch though is that the event is three hours long and I believe ProRes is a bit overkill in terms of file size. I will be intercutting the resulting files with 24 mbps AVCHD footage from three cameras, editing in native H.264 in FCPX. Will Media Express allow me to capture into any more compressed formats, such as H.264 QuickTime files or similar? Furthermore, is there any reason why I shouldn't try to capture to a more compressed format vs ProRes? This is a new workflow for me, so I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Chad

Re: Compressed format options for Media Express capture?

PostFri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Unless you are using the H.264 encoder (or ATEM TVS) then Media Express can only record in uncompressed or Motion JPEG (MJPEG) codecs. Media Express is really designed to pull High-Def footage off of vcr/vtr tape decks or video cameras, and IMO way overkill for capturing powerpoint. Why not just import the powerpoint itself into your editor and skip the middle-man?

JayWindland

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 2:59 am

Interesting. To answer the question re: just importing the PowerPoint into the editor; I'm trying to turn around the edit really fast and want to pull in all my assets as video so I can cut it as a multicam clip. It's a very long presentation with many slides. I've done a few of these for this client, and manually timing the slides on the timeline is a bit slow. If I record a feed from their projector all the timing is done already and I can just treat it as another camera angle.

Re: Media Express, I thought it could at least do ProRes. Perhaps I was wrong. If not, I suppose I could go to a HyperDeck Shuttle, right?

Any thoughts or suggestions on that front?

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 3:21 am

If you are on a MAC you may find that ProRes is an optional codec/format within Media Express (I recall another post on here mentioning this).
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

sharyn

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 5:12 am

Liam
what are you using to import a Power point to editor? are you just using it as a series of JPEG stills Or are you converting it to an AVI/ video??

Sharyn

Liam Kennedy

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 am

sharyn wrote:Liam..what are you using to import a Power point to editor? are you just using it as a series of JPEG stills Or are you converting it to an AVI/ video??

Umm... In this post at least I never mentioned anything about importing Powerpoint slides. I only responded to the codec/compression question

However I do often pull powerpoint presentations in to my video in post. In that case - as long as there are no needed animations - I will simply convert the presentation slides to JPEGS. However - when I am at a live event of course we simply play out the powerpoint and use an Atlona VGA-HDMI scaler in to the ATEM.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 am

You can capture with pretty much any application, not just media express. If you use your NLE to capture then you'll be able to have the files in whatever codec you like (providing your CPU can manage the realtime compression)

Bear in mind that the BMD capture solutions only work with video resolutions - you'll need to feed 1080i or 720p into the HDMI capture for it to work. You'll need to consider how your video is getting out to projection whilst also being captured.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

JayWindland

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks Tom. I hadn't thought of that. Because FCPX has no capture from tape functionality, I was looking solely at the available Media Express codecs. But yes, I could capture in Adobe or plenty of other applications too. Also, point noted on the source format. I think I will go ahead and pick up the Mini Recorder and start testing.

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 10:54 pm

oh and FWIW i've used VLC to capture to low bitrate H264 in the past - worked OK and possible even on hired macs with no edit software on.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

weakbit

PostSun Oct 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Hello,
I've also a Intensity pro 4K Card and I remember that was on my Linux Mint 18.3 with MediaExpress a option to record in compressed AVI or so. Now I've a Linux Mint 20.1 and a MediaExpress 3.7.a7 fresh installed on my System. But there is no option to choose a compressed format?
Where is the compression gone away?
I choose to install the ffmpeg compression format but this will not recognize from the MediaExpress.
What shall I do to come back to the old days? (Yes buying a MAC hahaha!) I don't have the money to buying a expensive MAC but I bought a BlackMagic Intensity pro 4K.

Best Regards
weakbit

Return to Live Production