Suggestions for connecting Matrox TrippleHead2Go DisplayPort

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Linden deCarmo

Suggestions for connecting Matrox TrippleHead2Go DisplayPort

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 am

We need to do a very long run from a PC with USB-C, DisplayPort and HDMI outputs to a Matrox TrippleHead2Go DisplayPort edition (extra wide 720p image). I was thinking I could use a Decimator (or maybe mini-Converter) to convert the PC output (either HDMI or DisplayPort) to SDI and then doing the long SDI run. The problem I have is a converting the SDI signal back to DisplayPort for the Matrox. Any suggestions for a reliable converter that will get us from SDI to DisplayPort? I've had very poor results so far with active HDMI to display port converters and extra wide images with 720 lines of resolution but maybe there's something out there that I'm not aware of.

Any potential solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Xtreemtec

Re: Suggestions for connecting Matrox TrippleHead2Go Display

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 am

From PC to Matrox you need a straight connection. Don't put anything between it.
HDMI to SDI and back won't work i guess.. Because the matrox software will send a completely custom resolution to the Matrox unit. Which is out of any broadcast standard.. So you won't have any use for converters that are using legal SMPTE resolutions.

Try to extend after the Matrox. Or even better trow out the Matrox.. They have been proven to be problem devices over the years.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Linden deCarmo

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Try to extend after the Matrox. Or even better trow out the Matrox.. They have been proven to be problem devices over the years.. ;)

Do you have alternatives for the Matrox for ultra-wide screens? We initially went with Matrox because we use ProPresenter and that's the supported hardware for triple screen resolutions.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 9:39 am

Just add 2 dual head video cards in your system.. Which gives you 4 outputs on your pc.

I personally have a SDI video card with 4 outputs. But the company that made them stopped the productions of them. :roll:

Nvidea has some direct SDI output cards too.. But with the current price of the micro converters it is not very likely to buy them anymore.. as for $200 you have 4 sdi outputs from a dual video card config.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

BenWorkman

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Datapath X4 (or FX4 for SDI) is the absolute best thing going. Will work with ProPresenter's Modules too (just run it like a TH2G). I use it with a ProVideoPlayer/ProPresenter combo and it's rocksolid, fantastic, and plays perfectly with all other Blackmagic and broadcast gear.

Could you describe your workflow a little more in detail? For instance, what is at the end of the really long run: projectors?

Return to Live Production