4K/UHD multiview in an HD production

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Drew Lahat

4K/UHD multiview in an HD production

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:18 am

As of last year, apparently you couldn't monitor HD sources in 4K with the ATEMs. Is this still the case, for all ATEM switcher models?

I never cared much for the 4K (UHD) features so far. (How many of you deliver live productions in 4K anyway?) The only reason I thought Blackmagic's switchers were enticing as far as their resolution went, was the ability to leverage 4K in the multiviewer, so I won't have to look at 480x270 sources. However I understand that it's impossible?

I assume the solution would be to buy/rent a Multiview16 (which would require looped outputs, but I could use with any switcher).

Marcus Strandepil

Re: 4K/UHD multiview in an HD production

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:51 am

Hi Drew

I fully agree with your statement. Having UHD on all multiview outputs would certainly help. Today, it is only available on the most advanced switchers. You would think that all 4K switchers would have this, even though I would like to see it on the HD models too.

I had to get the Multiview 16 for this reason. When using several cameras this makes sense but in small productions this means one more monitor, one more rack unit, likely more converters and lots of cables - and latency.

Brgds /Marcus

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Television Studio Pro HD, Hyperdeck Mini. Multiview 16, 2 x Dell 32" screens + SmartView 16" HD monitor. Converters.
PCs and MacBook Pros
Behringer X32 Producer for live sound processing and multitrack recording.
850 VA UPS
16 HU flypack.

Return to Live Production