Can you tie Overlay Graphics to specific Inputs using ATEM?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Johnathon Zimmerman

Can you tie Overlay Graphics to specific Inputs using ATEM?

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 am

I just had a quick question I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. Before I ask it though, here's some brief context behind my question. Some friends of mine and I have a gaming channel and are looking into doing some "Team Streams" in the near future. The concept is that we all stream together from the same channel and have someone switching the screens live during the stream. We currently use three different capture cards to achieve this, but it gets very taxing on the computer. We thought about having a Video Production Switcher (such as the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD) where everyone would have an HDMI running from their computers to the Switcher which would then run into our streaming PC. We like to have screens that have our names, or some sort of picture in picture element to help viewers distinguish whose screen they're watching. Is there a way to have four different overlays tied to their separate inputs?

Thanks, and have a nice day!

- Johnathon

Andrew Martin

Re: Can you tie Overlay Graphics to specific Inputs using AT

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 pm

No, not with the tvs range, you'll need one of the bigger switchers
And then you'll not be able to do so in all four cases as you can only tie 2 overlays, one on preview and one on program. Their was / is a 3rd party software which did this with the 1me, and green screen keying. the name eludes me know but I'll try to find it and post back,

stefanschreiber

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:56 am

In my opinion the ATEM TV Studio HD is capable of doing what you require.

You would use the PC/Console out and combine it with a 'Nametag' graphic that you upload as TIFF into the switcher. This type of setup is pretty straight forward. You can also plug in 2 videocams and use the upstream keyer to do Picture in Picture.

That would require creating some macros in the switcher (really easy).

Best
Stefan

Michael Lindblad

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Hey Jonathan -

With some tweaks there is a way to tie graphics to certain cameras using the Macro system that comes with the ATEM switchers. Record you macros to include a camera and a different media file to be loaded into your Media Player (Keep it on the same MP to avoid confusion) and Key the MP. Doing this should keep the key active between macro cuts and assigning macros to match cameras/graphics helps keep it simple (Macro 1 = Camera 1 + Graphic for Cam 1).

See our process in action by searching Tuesday Night Game Fight on YT and Episode 9 shows a good example of these Macro cuts.
Gameplay is our main feed with PiP extra, but the Black Box Boarder of PiP and Name all change with each macro cutting even when using the same name graphic. With 6 game stations and 6 cameras tied to a station we were able to cut this section using 6 macros.

Hope this helps!

Return to Live Production