Live Encode Teranex Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Dennis Anoschin

Live Encode Teranex Mini

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi

I was wondering if I can encode properly the output Signal from the Atem Television Studio HD with the Teranex Mini IP Video to connect it with the Modem from MiniCaster to stream it over the KA-Band Satellite?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Live Encode Teranex Mini

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 am

In principle, the Teranex Mini IP will work with any IP network that has sufficient bandwidth. However, keep in mind that the goal of the Teranex Mini is to deliver low latency video over relatively high bandwidth wired IP networks. To do this it uses Tico compression with a 4:1 compression ratio, which delivers near-lossless quality at less than one frame of latency.

This means that HD video at 1080i (1.5 Gb/s uncompressed) uses about 375 Mb/s of bandwidth on the IP network. 375 Mb/s is a lot of bandwidth for a satellite which usually divides the total available bandwidth over several simultaneous users.

I believe most satellite transmission uses much more aggressive compression (MPEG-2 or MPEG-4) which allows for bandwidth usage in the 5 to 20 Mb/s range. This type of compression does introduce some latency, but usually this is less of a concern with satellite transmission which adds a lot of latency of its own.

Probably a different encoder (perhaps one that supports H.264) would make more sense for this application.

Return to Live Production